Support nexus 7 screen flickering.

1. merg

merg Active Member

Just got my preorder from GameStop...typing on it now. After playing with it for a bit I got this super crazy screen flicker going on. So I googled it and it turns out it may be a software issue. Never fear...I updated it and it all went away. No more problems with the screen now. Some folks said if the screen brightness is all the way up it seemed to start up, I didn't get that and mine was up 100% Some folks said if they turned down the brightness it only happened while a page was loading in Chrome. I didn't have that issue though. ETA, mine was flickering when I was on the home screen or while surfing the market.

This thing is awesome!! If ya have any screen flickering...I hope you're not epileptic... but just update your Software. :)

Advertisement
    saptech and Atma like this.
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

From what I've heard, this is a problem with a lot of Tegra 3 devices until tey recieve a software update.
  3. TheStapher7

TheStapher7 Active Member

Just started to notice this myself. It is not crazy bad but definitely distracting. BTW I have my brightness set on auto. My software is also up to date as well.
  4. DanielM426

DanielM426 Well-Known Member

I've definitely noticed flickering with Chrome on my evo, but that's just because it's still in beta. (Removing beta from the app name didn't help)
  5. tlo07

tlo07 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem. My device has had two updates, too. I may just take it back.
  6. timothyh

timothyh Member

Are any recent owners still experiencing screen flicker at low light settings? I would love to use this tablet for reading, but would find flickering at low levels annoying.
    Thanks
  7. timothyh

timothyh Member

Are any recent owners still experiencing screen flicker at low light settings? I would love to use this tablet for reading, but would find flickering at low levels annoying.
    Thanks
  8. Internaut

Internaut Well-Known Member

After the last software update, I do still see the flicker issue. It is very rare though.
    timothyh likes this.
  9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I havent ever noticed it.
  10. Fireball01

Fireball01 New Member

I had this on my 1st Nexus which was later replaced due to faulty power lead. Replacement was fine - both ran 4.1.2 so don't believe its a SW issue. Mine was definitely related to WiFi use (the flickering always occurred at low screen brightness when the WiFi indicator showed it was transmitting). My guess is that later models have improved design to better isolate the display electrics from the WiFi transceiver/antenna.
    timothyh likes this.
  11. cindy68

cindy68 New Member

i just got a nexus 7" 32g and the screen flickers when I am reading, it is very anoying and distracting. what is the fix because I have all updates
  12. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

It's some sort of hardware issue. The recommended actions are turning off wifi while reading and keeping your brightness above 10%
    For what it's worth, it seemed to be a lot worse for me the first week or 2. Now I hardly catch a flicker anymore.
  13. timothyh

timothyh Member

I purchased the 32gb version, and have found no flicker under very low light conditions. Maybe when I have the brightness set to automatic I can see a slight change in brightness occasionally, but the automatic setting is still too bright for me to read. I obtained two light setting apps from the market (free) that allows me to really make the screen dim, and I still don't see flicker. I am running 4.2 with wifi on. Purchased Nexus about 3 weeks ago.