• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help nexus 7 screen flickering.

merg

Mar 26, 2010
Just got my preorder from GameStop...typing on it now. After playing with it for a bit I got this super crazy screen flicker going on. So I googled it and it turns out it may be a software issue. Never fear...I updated it and it all went away. No more problems with the screen now. Some folks said if the screen brightness is all the way up it seemed to start up, I didn't get that and mine was up 100% Some folks said if they turned down the brightness it only happened while a page was loading in Chrome. I didn't have that issue though. ETA, mine was flickering when I was on the home screen or while surfing the market.

This thing is awesome!! If ya have any screen flickering...I hope you're not epileptic... but just update your Software. :)

Reactions: saptech and Atma
Just got my preorder from GameStop...typing on it now. After playing with it for a bit I got this super crazy screen flicker going on. So I googled it and it turns out it may be a software issue. Never fear...I updated it and it all went away. No more problems with the screen now. Some folks said if the screen brightness is all the way up it seemed to start up, I didn't get that and mine was up 100% Some folks said if they turned down the brightness it only happened while a page was loading in Chrome. I didn't have that issue though. ETA, mine was flickering when I was on the home screen or while surfing the market.

This thing is awesome!! If ya have any screen flickering...I hope you're not epileptic... but just update your Software. :)

Just started to notice this myself. It is not crazy bad but definitely distracting. BTW I have my brightness set on auto. My software is also up to date as well.

Upvote 0
I had this on my 1st Nexus which was later replaced due to faulty power lead. Replacement was fine - both ran 4.1.2 so don't believe its a SW issue. Mine was definitely related to WiFi use (the flickering always occurred at low screen brightness when the WiFi indicator showed it was transmitting). My guess is that later models have improved design to better isolate the display electrics from the WiFi transceiver/antenna.

Reactions: timothyh
Upvote 0
i just got a nexus 7" 32g and the screen flickers when I am reading, it is very anoying and distracting. what is the fix because I have all updates

It's some sort of hardware issue. The recommended actions are turning off wifi while reading and keeping your brightness above 10%
For what it's worth, it seemed to be a lot worse for me the first week or 2. Now I hardly catch a flicker anymore.

Upvote 0
I purchased the 32gb version, and have found no flicker under very low light conditions. Maybe when I have the brightness set to automatic I can see a slight change in brightness occasionally, but the automatic setting is still too bright for me to read. I obtained two light setting apps from the market (free) that allows me to really make the screen dim, and I still don't see flicker. I am running 4.2 with wifi on. Purchased Nexus about 3 weeks ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones