Nexus 7 thinks its in USASupport

1. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Well-Known Member

hi hope you can help.i have a nexus 7 and love it so bought one for my mum for xmas as a kindle with backlight plus she can do other stuff so got it from google play and everything is good except the tablet seems to think its in USA i.e. in gmail it says trash instead of bin on mine and the real kicker is when she goes onto kindle store via the kindle app it always takes her to amazon.com not co.uk as mine does.
    is there anything i can do to get it back to co.uk?

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I'm checking through settings on mine, and not sure.
    Where did you purchase hers?
  3. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Well-Known Member

got it from google play store.i have set it up exactly as mine is but whenever she accesses the kindle store via the app it takes her to amazon.com.in the long run she can get books via the web browser and amazon.co.uk but she wants to know why she has to do that and im buggered if i know lol
  4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

My only guess is when you set it up, did you have Google able to access your location?
    You can get to that in settings to change (under Location Access).
  5. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

like dread mentioned i would enable locations on google maps.

Go to Settings > Google > Maps & Latitude. This brings you to the Location settings screen for Google Maps
    Fatwaz and breadnatty08 like this.
  6. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Well-Known Member

cheers guys i will try that
  7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

What location does the tablet think it is in? If you check a weather app, or go to google maps and hit the my location button, does it give an American location?

Assuming the problem is with the tablet, not your mum's Amazon account, these are the other potential problems I can think of:

- Your mum's Google account was either created in the US.
    - The firmware that was loaded onto the device is a build meant for US N7s.
    - You picked 'English (United States)' as the language when you first turned on the device.

You could test for all of these by factory resetting and loading your own Google account rather than your mum's, and making sure to pick 'English (United Kingdom)'.

However, on the off chance that the problem is only with Amazon, I'd first try signing your mum out of the Amazon app and signing yourself in. Do you get sent there? If you don't, then the problem is with your mum's Amazon account, not the tablet. I'd try that first, since it is much easier than doing a factory reset.