Nexus gets hooked up, what about Droid?

Last Updated:

1. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now I'm starting to wonder if Motorola or Google even plan to continue support for the Droid after reading this article. At first I wasn't alarmed when the update didn't come in January, just thought "hey maybe later than everyone has been saying." Now I am not so sure after the Nexus taking center stage that Google even plans to continue being good to their mobile customers. This fragmentation crap is kinda getting to me.

Advertisement
  2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I wouldn't sweat it. I think you let some of this stuff get to you a bit too easily. We're definitely getting 2.1 and we've got the only phone with 2.0, so we're not trailing far behind. Plus for the rooters there are many more options for Droid (I think) than the N1.

3. alostpacket

And we have a better screen :)

4. deftdrummer

Yeah that's all true. I see your point. On the other hand, I just really dislike how Google is shrouding things in secrecy like Apple. I mean I like the Droid and all, but its not all about pinch and zoom. I enjoy one handed operation like many here on the boards do. The thing that gets me is how there is so much room for improvement in Google's own apps and OS but it still seems to be getting put off. I'm just ranting.

5. binglejellsx2

binglejellsx2 Well-Known Member

Just to help you feel better, the multitouch stock apps are available now if you root. You can also overclock to 1.1ghz whick really closes the gap between the two handsets. Ice that with the better screen, separate graphics processor, and an optional physical keyboard. I have no regrets getting Droid.

6. deftdrummer

Alright then, you guys sold me. I've been tossing the idea of rooting back and forth since day one but now I'm ready. I jailbroke all my iphones previously so I should be able to handle this me thinks.

7. tangomango

tangomango Well-Known Member

How high can the Nexus be clocked? Little off-topic :[

8. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

You won't regret it.

Let me tell you, a rooted Droid with a good 2.0.1 ROM that has all the 2.1 goodies is leaps and bounds better than a Nexus One w/ the latest OTA update.

AFAIK, it's still at 1GHz. Remember how the Acer Liquid was clocked down to 768MHz? I think 1GHz is closer to the Snapdragon ceiling than 550MHz was to the OMAP3 ceiling (obviously as it's pushing 1.3GHz now).

9. deftdrummer

Fab could you please point me in the right direction for obtaining the 2.0.1 rom with pinch and zoom goodies you speak of? Thanks

10. Fabolous

Alldroid.org > Developement > Droid > Pete > Bugless Beauty/Beast

The beauty is stock 550MHz

The beast is beastly @ 950MHz

Same feature set for the most part (pinch zoom + 2.1 goodies)

Also, the beast will allow you to turn your phone into a MiFi (wireless 3G router)

11. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I can't believe that anyone would even be concerned that the Moto DROID is already becoming obsolete in the eyes of Verizon, Motorola, or Google. The DROID is definitely still one of their premier products. Let's just try to exercise a little patience and not put the cart before the horse. We will soon have 2.1, and then we'll be waiting IMpatiently for the next BIG update. ;)

12. alostpacket

iMpatience - the next big thing from Apple. Coming soon, always.

13. deftdrummer

I guess pinch and zoom isn't a part of 2.1 anyways so I should root regardless.

14. alostpacket

You gotta love how Google gave the big ol' middle finger to apple with adding multitouch like that though.

Begun the phone war has. And the winners are gonna be the consumers.

15. trevlynch

trevlynch Active Member

you people are living in a dream world. droid better than the nexus? yeah... just keep telling yourself that. better screen? what? that's hilarious. you do know the nexus has omoled right?, ok ok. ill leave you guys tko your droid nite

16. alostpacket

troll fail^

17. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

im def going to root my phone in the coming days. I have been thinking about it and it seems rather safe. The benefits of doing it seem to out weigh the negatives. I have been converted to rooting. Thanks Fab.

18. SamMax

SamMax Well-Known Member

Better screen in daylight, and also a higher resolution.Than the Nexus...with that said I would love to have an Amoled on my Droid.

19. Fabolous

Come on now, if you're gonna tout your specs, at least do it right. It's AMOLED!

Anyways, I like the N1. It has it's merits, but until Android steps up their virtual keyboard game, I'll need a physical keyboard.

Heck, check the Nexus One section of this forum. Whose post has the most views?

Anyhoo, I'm done caring about what Google officially does, because with the great developers that Droid has, I know whatever features any Android phone is getting, it'll be available for my Droid too.

20. Sturge[Droid]

Sturge[Droid] Well-Known Member

so how do you go about rooting your droid to nexus features?

21. trevlynch

trevlynch Active Member

sorry typo. and about the posts... it probably had something to do with the droids multi million dollar ad campaign. does nexus have any ads? nope. virtual keyboard s are overrated and from what I hear the droids keyboard is pretty lame. im just saying..

anyway im still waiting for this update that's causing so much jealousy from you droid folks

22. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

What's your Nexus running at? I'm at 1.1Ghz. What?
    Omoled screens look artificial and over-saturated. And the Moto DROID's screen has won every online throwdown I've read. What?
    The Nexus is just an iPhone wannabe. What?
    We're on the Verizon network. What?

And if you don't think Google has spent Millions on online ads, you're nuts!

Hey, don't get me wrong here. They are both Android phones, and they are both fairly comparable. Really comes down to personal preferences. But don't come into our house talkin' smack. Must be a reason you want to hang out with the cool kidzzzz. :cool:

WHAT? :D

23. alostpacket

Successful troll is successful?

24. tangomango

tangomango Well-Known Member

Game, set, and MATCH!

25. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

I hope you know that virtual means on the screen... and what did the ad have to do with anything.