General Nexus Keyboard

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iLoveAndroid, Mar 5, 2010.

1. iLoveAndroid

iLoveAndroid Active Member

Jan 29, 2010
    When you try to install the VoiceSearchWithKeyboard.apk it asks "this is a system app, are you sure you want to overwrite", or something like that, so I hit yes, and it fails. why? why? why? why? why? I want this keyboard soooooooooo bad, please help

Advertisement

2. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    That keyboard is way more involved than a regular .apk. I am curious to see if the Desire or Legend will have the voice keyboard. I bet they will.

3. smott

smott Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Student
    Tennessee
    All phones with 2.1 will have voice keyboard capabilities.

4. Mr.Slave

Mar 4, 2010
    Really? Where was that stated? I would like to see proof please!

5. smacky

Jan 11, 2010
    +1

We were lead to believe that back in January, but it wasn't in the 2.1 leak.

6. smott

smott Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Student
    Tennessee
    (Update) Motorola details exactly what you're getting in the Droid 2.1 update | Android Central

I would expect that if it's going to the Droid that they wouldn't keep it from other phones on the 2.1 update. I wouldn't expect that they would hold back voice capabilities, since it isn't a UI thing like the live wallpapers, et cetera. And it's a leak. It won't be as polished as the OTA release. They aren't going to keep something off of the update, like a voice "keyboard", that will make people want an Android device. It's a shame that they haven't released 2.1 yet.

7. andrew8806

andrew8806 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    HDA - Pepsico
    Dallas, Texas
    The Leaked version 2.1 is not the same version at the OTA version. Just wait and be patient... It will come...:D

8. Mr.Slave

Mar 4, 2010
    So a guy on a Android forum reports about a Motorola phone getting voice-to-text and then a guy that has an Eris with an unofficial update reports on a guy that reports on android that reported on Motorola. You should join some of these unofficial Android blogging sites and be a reporter. These guys are right about half of the time because it can only be a yes or no question. So until HTC says "The Droid Eris on Verizon is getting the text-to-speach." I am going to be suspicious. So in other words don't rely on no factual reporting you will most always be let down.

9. Mr.Slave

Mar 4, 2010
    So you can say without a doubt that we will have voice-to-text because the official version that is only out on the N1 has it? They withhold options to get us to buy new phones.

10. smott

smott Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Student
    Tennessee
    I'd bet my life that the OTA update is going to have voice-to-text on it. It's illogical for it to not be included, especially just for a phone that sold only 80,000 units within the first month. They aren't going to make that sophisticated of software for such a limited audience; that would be ridiculous.

+1

11. Mr.Slave

Mar 4, 2010
    Hope your right for the sake of your life! lol! The first big problem is that we use HTC's keyboard and that it wasn't already changed is a big indication that we will not see it. The fact that the Moto Ddoid uses the stock Android keyboard is a big indication that it will be included. But whatever, hope I am wrong but I wouldn't go betting my life on it!

12. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    USAF
    California
    Too bad it's tied into the KB functionality. That's sure to make it harder to use effectively with Swype.