Nexus One: 80,000 Sold After 1 Month

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

After one month, the Nexus One has only sold a reported 80,000 units which is a much more than a hop, skip and jump from the numbers the iPhone and Motorola Droid did upon launch. Google themselves were cautiously optimistic about sales numbers and the reason for this huge gap is OBVIOUS: the distribution [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

Whether Google wants to admit it or not. Trying to sell phones is harder than they think. Not to mention whether they want it to be or not, the Droid is there flag ship device out right now (going by sales). Maybe if they had used verizon to promote the Nexus on they're network wouldve worked better.

3. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Waiting for Nexus One Pro anyway... that or I'll break down and get the Droid.

4. bbrosen

bbrosen Well-Known Member

wow, thats it? thats all? I would have bet money it was more, way more, wow, quite the disapointment for google.

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Member

The marketing for Nexus was a complete joke, I can't even recall their ad's on TV if they had any, the only props they got were from news outlets trying to fill dead time. Droid marketing was genius, attractive, and effective. Results are obvious. Takes money to make money Google.

6. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was pretty much it. They though having a little text link "Check out Nexus One" on their homepage would be good enough.

7. bgoody

bgoody Well-Known Member

Well if they would come out with a version that runs on Rogers, Bell or Telus here in Canada, I would buy one immediately. Unfortunately we're still not even getting Paid Market Apps so who knows how long it will take before Google realizes there are a few Android types north of the US.

8. SonOfMan

SonOfMan Member

Hmm, lets look at the facts here:

Iphone3gs, 1 million sold in a month, 100,000,000 spent on advertising
    Nexus 1, 80,000 sold in a month, 0 spent on advertising.

The Nexus 1 is cheaper to produce

9. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Well-Known Member

I don't know whether the N1 is cheaper to produce but it is definitely cheaper to promote. Google's ad plan was an ingenious marketing move. With 80k units sold by word of mouse, they could take that revenue to purchase their current ads and literally sell tons more via their current web campaign.

Bottom line - Google Android has upset the Apple cart. Considering Steve's latest performance, we could put him on Mtv: Stevie J - Unglued.

10. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

They got mice to go round promoting the Nexus 1? Brilliant marketing ;):p

11. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

It's a good thing that sales are not indicative of quality. :)

I'm not sure what goals Google or HTC wanted to set sales wise with the Nexus One but I'm sure sales would be better if they had them in stores. To spend such an amount on something you can't physically get hold of without buying it is asking quite a lot from some people.

Thankfully, I'm silly enough to throw such an amount of cash on something I've never seen in the flesh! :D

12. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Well-Known Member

Yes, they got their furry little butts on the wire! :p

But seriously, if Google sold that many units by people simply clicking and buying, they've set a precedent in marketing. They exploited the medium for its native ability...the dissemination of information. Let's face it, they have the eyeballs of the world on that search engine! Now, when they find a way to legally harness *that*...look out universe! (At present, there are many watchdogs because people are afraid of Google's monolithic power as holder of so much information)

Few advertising dollars spent and yet: Talk of the N1 took over our forums just prior to launch. This YouTube/Social Network generation has changed the face of advertising. It is foolish to overlook Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and of course in the case of Android - Forums like this one for their power in getting word out about your product. Add Google to the mix and the potential numbers of eyeballs is staggering. Even if this was just a mediocre success, it opens the way for greater exploration of the genre, even by smaller businesses...especially so.

13. clitrenta

clitrenta Well-Known Member

Lets not forget pricing and support. If this phone had been sold thru T-Mo, I'd have been on it like a knife thru butter. Stick to what you know Google - software.

14. clitrenta

Oh and Chaz-UK, I'm not particularly inclined to buy something like this site unseen, at least not when my only means of support is e-mail

15. Three

Three Well-Known Member

The problem and genius with Google.

16. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

I've heard bad things about HTC support but HTC UK had zero issues with replacing my Nexus One when it died. :D The guy on the support call was really helpful and the whole thing went smoothly for me.

Others (I see) have not fared so well. :(

17. clitrenta

Exactly. I'm sure at some point, the N1 will be a great choice but until these things are ironed out, I really don't care to chance it on a device I've nevered layed my hands on. Maybe they should at least let T-Mobile put it in their stores for show. C'mon Google - throw us a bone already.