Nexus one and email font sizeSupport

Last Updated:

1. tonygeno

tonygeno Active Member This Topic's Starter

Does the Nexus One allow larger font sizes for email for old, tired eyes?

With the move to Verizon I am considering trying one out. I already have three phones on Verizon so adding a fourth would be easy enough. I actually had the T-Mobile version but radio performance was horrid (no signal in places where an unlocked iPhone was able to make calls) and I'm hoping that on the Verizon network the radio issues will be solved. I don't remember having trouble with email, but I had the phone for such a short time (under a day) I can't remember if I had email issues.

Advertisement
  2. James Bell

James Bell Well-Known Member

Yes, does anyone know of a solution (another email client maybe?) for a larger font? We can zoom in on the web and maps, but menus, text messages and email seem to be locked in at one font size.

I'd love to get my Dad this phone but his blackberry at least lets him have a giant font (even if the screen is half as big!).

Any suggestions appreciated.

3. tonygeno

This is about as basic as it gets IMO. Windows Mobile and the iPhone are able to offer this feature. Not sure why the great OpenSource Android is unable to. I guess the target audience for this phone is the under 40 crowd. The guys (and gals) with presbyopia need not apply.

4. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

HTC mail client allows font size changing... if you're willing to root and install the Desire ROM, it will provide with the feature you are looking for... obviously it's not a solution for everyone...

this is the font size settings panel from the HTC mail app:

[​IMG]

5. tonygeno

Blackberries have offered this feature for years. How is it possible that Android missed something so obvious? I don't think I've owned a device since the days of Windows 3.1 that didn't offer the ability to change font size.

6. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

As a platform its still in its infancy and little tidbits like this are the ones that tend to get missed. You all know google has a suggestion box/request page for the N1, go there and make your voice heard about these things. Cant hurt, might actually see some of those suggestions implemented. Younger folk might not realize just how annoying losing your eyesight can be. For most folks it starts out you need reading glasses. Your vision is still 20/20 as tested but you cant focus in on things that are close to you. This means you cant read without the glasses but with them you cant see anything past reading distance leading to the glasses on and off syndrome while trying to do something. Being able to have a larger font on your phone that is legible without having to fish out your reading glasses is a real bonus to us feeble old farts, saves a lot of hassle.