Nexus One capacitive button response improved with Froyo?

Last Updated:

1. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I purchased a Nexus One a couple months ago, but returned it due to the capacitive buttons driving me batty.

There are now a few reports (in individual posts on this forum and others) that the accuracy and sensitivity of the capacitive buttons have noticeably improved with Froyo. Specifically, users have stated there is less of the old "touch the top half" of the button issue on the N1 with 2.2; a few have stated there is an increased sensitivity to button presses as well.

For those of you with Froyo and who had capacitive button problems with 2.1, how is the responsiveness of the buttons now?

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

It's hard to judge for me. I've been used to them for a while and infact never had a problem.

They work fine so I say - come back!

3. Hmmm

Hmmm Member

The buttons used to anoy me a lot but then I read a tip that you should swipe them up (obviously without touching the main touch screen), never had too much of a problem after that. However, now you come to mention it I don't recall a single miss hit of the buttons since updating to froyo.

4. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Well they at least did something to the button sensitivity I think. Because if I long-press now, the way I did before, it often registers a second press on the home button after I get the haptic feedback from the long-press.
    Maybe it's just because I was completely used to the old way the buttons work, that's causing me to screw something up now, or maybe it was a small glitch (didn't happen anymore for a day and a half now).
    But tbh the buttons only had me slightly puzzled for the first day or so, never had trouble handling them.

5. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

I reckon the long press and subsequent reaction is faster, but I wouldn't say the sensitivity is better. It has always been good for me anyway.

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

There is only a noticeable improvement if you notice one. I hadn't given it a second thought until I read your post. I tried each button now and they all work just fine, but if you are prone to press slightly below the symbol, i believe you will still be frustrated.

7. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Agreed. The middle of the symbol seems to be the lowest you can hit each one.

I don't think anything has changed - but they still work OK for me.

8. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

2.2 has definitely improved the accuracy of them if you ask me. To the point that I've had to get used to hitting the symbol & not above it now.

9. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

Gah! Same thing happens to me all the time. Doesn't happen on my wife's Nexus, though. I assume my phone is just a little messed up. I turned off the haptics and for some reason, it doesn't seem to happen as much.

iLOVEhead likes this.
  10. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

+1 for me. The Froyo update is amazing and improved the accuracy greatly in addition to the speed of the device. I'm so happy I ditched my Apple device for Google :)

11. opticalshadow

opticalshadow Well-Known Member

ive actually walked inside to get my phone from charge to test right now, before the ota update today my buttons sometimes were nice and sensitive and other times annoying and unresponsive lets see how they work now

ok, each button which i pressed 20 times, seems to respond every time, the sweet spot is deffinitly center for me, and if you press under the pics it can get hit and miss, but if you hit on the pic to the screen its just perfect.

frf91

12. JacquesR

JacquesR Member

Mine have definitely improved - I can now tap the center, rather than the top-half. Never had a problem with long presses, but they still work fine.

13. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

I thought they had improved but now I think it's only wishful thinking, I never had much of a problem with them and still don't but you do still have to press towards the top of the buttons. Also when the phone is in landscape mode you seem to have to press towards the lower half (which is the left side when rotated).

14. bigfod

bigfod Active Member

Mine are definitely a LOT better. I now press the picture and not above it!