• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nexus one car dock adhesive disc

So I just got my N1 car dock and i want to put it on my dashboard. Problem is its not smooth enough for the suction - so i "need" to use the included adhesive pad/disc to properly secure it..

I'm worried about this because: It's a brand new EVO that i paid a lot for - i do not want to mess up my dash.. So:

1) Is the adhesive disc removable?
2) Can it be removed and not leave and residue?
3) If it does leave residue can it be removed easy?
4) What is the possibility of it stripping off any paint on the dash?

I'm just real nervous. Anyone who's done this please chime in and let me know.

Thanks!

So I just got my N1 car dock and i want to put it on my dashboard. Problem is its not smooth enough for the suction - so i "need" to use the included adhesive pad/disc to properly secure it..

I'm worried about this because: It's a brand new EVO that i paid a lot for - i do not want to mess up my dash.. So:

1) Is the adhesive disc removable?
2) Can it be removed and not leave and residue?
3) If it does leave residue can it be removed easy?
4) What is the possibility of it stripping off any paint on the dash?

I'm just real nervous. Anyone who's done this please chime in and let me know.

Thanks!

The adhesive disks are removable. As to how well they can be removed without a trace depends on the surface upon which they're set.

I had to replace a disk on my dash with a smaller one to accommodate a new GPS. I was concerned at first about removing the old one, but it turned out to be not all that bad. It was a hot day, and I think that helped. Surprisingly little residue was left, and it was easily removed with a bit of ArmorAll.

You have paint on your dash? It this an older car? I think I'd be more hesitant with paint than I would be with the typical vinyl.

Really, it's hard to give concrete answers on this. I had no trouble and wouldn't have a problem removing/replacing a disk on my car, but there are enough variables to prevent giving any guarantees.

Are you not allowed to place something on your windshield, or does the dock not allow for that?

Reactions: the.root
Upvote 0
Thanks! I don't know if its painted. Its a plastic/vinyl dash, new car. What is it dye mix?

Was still worried about it.

The instructions said "this is permanent" so thats what set me off lol.

Thanks for the reassurance though!

Dye mix? Dunno about that one. Sounds like a coloring agent for something.

Yeah...they say permanent, and in a way you have to assume that it will be. I have no problem with it, but I fully understand why you're hesitant. Not unreasonable of you at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones