Nexus One Charging habits

Last Updated:

1. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 6, 2009
    Ok, so I downloaded an app thats like a battery meter pretty much since the first day I got the device. Its been about a month now since Ive had the phone and have come to some interesting conclusions.

First off, the battery seems to taper off its usage when it gets under 25%. Meaning, if the phone is in the same state at 80% as it is in 20%(ie: screen off and standbye) it will stay at 20% for about twice as long before it goes to 19% as it will 80% going to 79%.

Second, no matter at what point of battery depletion when the phone is put on the charger, whether 50% or 15%, it still takes nearly 2 hours to fully charge it. This one makes no sense to me but this is what Ive seen graphed over the past few weeks.

And lastly, the charge graph from the starting point to the fully charged point is nearly a straight line until 98% when it seems to plateau and take an extra period of time to get to 100% fully charged.

As a point of reference, all my charging is done on the dock and the graph checks battery levels every 5 mins.

YMMV so take this information with a grain of salt. I thought it was interesting though.

Teknologic and ap3604 like this.
  2. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I've not seen it take 2 hours to recharge from any point of discharge, but I've only recharged through USB so far. If your battery graphing app shows what the power source was (like JuicePlotter), there's a difference between USB wiring and recharge rates, a stock USB lead displays as "USB" power source, but some USB power-only leads display as "AC" and recharge much faster. The phone appears to be doing current limiting, which is sensible and pretty much as expected. Sadly it's not possible from what I've seen so far to recharge the phone via the USB port at any rate that's fast enough to stop the battery depleting when using sat nav software, so it looks like the car dock is a necessity if you want to do sat nav.
  3. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    You description of the charge graph is bang on what to expect for a lithium battery.
  4. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    THANK YOU very much for going out of your way get this information to us. I always wondered about the battery and what it's patterns were at certain percentages (i.e. the 20% anomaly) and this answered all of my questions. I really appreciate the info.

5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Now that is very interesting. I thought the battery has a mind of its own with the 'random' discharge rates at certain %. I will keep an eye out when it reaches 20% today :D
  6. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks for this insight in battery use, I've come across the same patterns when checking juiceplotter and it's comforting to know that's normal :)