Nexus One Cracked Screen

1. pwnvds

pwnvds Active Member

Here is my sad story of how I got my Nexus One on January 7 and it was broken by January 8. I was just hanging out with my Nexus One in my pocket. Pulled it out and the screen looked funny. By the next morning, it was all black. It wasn't until I looked closer in bright light that I noticed several cracks in the internal screen, coming from the edges.

I think this is going to be a big problem for this phone. I've dropped my G1 about 20 times over the past 15 months and it's fine. I've even dunked it in a glass of water, dried it out, and it's fine. I did nothing out of the ordinary to my Nexus One and the screen (inside! with no external damage whatsoever) is cracked and now does not work. This is lousy manufacturing.

I put a call into HTC and they are supposed to be sending me a fedex label to send them the phone, but I didn't tell them the screen is cracked, I just said the screen doesn't work. So I am expecting them to tell me I'll have to pay to replace the screen. The warranty number for HTC is 888-617-1113. By the way it's been 24 hours and I still haven't received the emailed fedex label, so I am growing concerned...

Also, there is a company in Dallas called dr cell phone (google it) which can repair screens the same day they receive your phone, you can just ship it to them. It costs somewhere between $75 and $175 and they said they will repair the Nexus One (they do many other HTC phones). However they told me they are waiting on parts from HTC so it could be 1-2 weeks before they get parts.

I'll try to update when I get this resolved...right now, I am back using my trusty G1, with a great looking brick sitting in a box on my desk.

Advertisement
  2. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

awwwww, sorry :( hope it wasn't in your back pocket! i always forget about my phone when I put it there. Hope maybe HTC'll pity you and repair under warranty.
  3. androidtx

androidtx Well-Known Member

everybody I know takes em down to harry hines in dallas to that dr cell phone, they can pretty much fix anything. A friend of mine jumped in his pool with his 3gs and they fixed it for him. On the weekends, there is often a long line of people waiting.
    Dr. Cell Phone likes this.
  4. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

You sure you didn't sit on it or bend it in any way? I feel this is a problem for phones with thin form factors. Did you apply pressure on the screen in any way? Sorry for the bad news. Sorry that you also have to go through the tedious experience of replacing it. I feel this is another problem in GOOG's model for selling phones. At the end of the day, you need "brick and mortar" stores so that these things can be taken care of quickly. Even if it's a Best Buy. They have enough coverage to handle these customer problems. Mailing it in and stuff ain't going to cut it, especially if you have to wait for a label. At least charge your CC for a replacement phone and send it to you while you send the other one back.
  5. pwnvds

pwnvds Active Member

no, i'm not sure... i may have sat on it, I don't know, but I don't usually keep my phones in my back pocket....and it's weird that the inside screen would be broken. maybe you're right, its a thin form factor issue. the bitch of it is that i really like my G1 except for the memory and lag issues. oh well. if dr cell phone had the parts i'd say screw it and overnight it to them because i'm a very impatient person, but until then i'll just have to see how HTC pans out. I called again for another label, still haven't gotten anything.

It would be nice if this phone was sold through Amazon - their service is awesome. Or if Google warranted it like Amazon does for the Kindle. It's a really strange relationship between Google and HTC. They would have been better off with an Apple-Iphone or Amazon-Kindle relationship, but maybe this would REALLY piss off the open handset alliance members. who knows. One thing I can assure is that support/hardware issues are going to be a pain in the ass for this phone compared to traditional carrier sold phones.
  6. sooper_droid12

You don't have to assure it, it already is a pain for many people experiencing problems with the N1. Google releases a statement that calls them "small" problems in customer service. The difference between Apple/Amazon is, when you look for service for those things, you don't know who the manufacturer is. But with the N1, you know clearly that it's HTC and you're right, the partnership there is very weird. Since it's not an "HTC phone" to the truest extent... it's a Google phone with HTC and T-Mo support. I can't even imagine what this Open Handset Alliance is going to be like when there are more phones and more manufacturers.
  7. seeking

seeking Well-Known Member

it can only get better, this is the first phone of many to come. Customer service and support will only get better and better
  8. sooper_droid12

Can't get any worse right? Can it? Better not otherwise this will be a huge pock mark on GOOG. Although, with so many right steps, GOOG is due for a mis-step. Everyone's had it in this industry: Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Motorola, etc. Maybe this is Google's mis-step in a long line of everything they touch turning to gold!
  9. This is why we can't have nice things.
    System6 likes this.
  10. pwnvds

pwnvds Active Member

Just an update: I still have not received the prepaid fedex label that was supposed to be emailed via HTC (2 days later). But I did ask how much a new screen would cost if they wouldn't cover it, and the cost is $240. This is about double that of drcellphone, so if they don't want to cover it, I'm going with the dr.

In the meantime, I ordered another Nexus One from Google because I have run out of patience and it's killing me. So I plan to repair the original one and sell it on Ebay. HTC is in Houston where I am, so I am planning to drop it off at lunchtime or just mail it myself, since this prepaid label is apparently never going to arrive.
  11. sooper_droid12

$240 is insane considering the part itself is only $23.50. So, now, you've spent well over $1000 for a phone? That's insane. GOOG better figure out this customer service, but I don't know many people who have $1000 in their pocket and the patience to sell it the fixed one on ebay, probably at a reduced cost (especially since disclosure will reveal a previously broken phone).
  12. Shedman

Shedman New Member

You are not alone pwnvds - today my Nexus One screen cracked too. Was at the museum and took it out of my pocket to take a photo and noticed a slight curving crack from the top to the bottom of the screen. At that time the picture was fine.

Now, some hours later, the colour has washed out of the entire screen making it difficult to read.

My Nexus definitely DIDN'T receive any knocks. I've had it since last Friday and have taken great care of it. It has been kept in its pouch and very gently handled at all times by me and nobody else.

Do I need to contact HTC or Google to resolve this? I really hope this isn't a common problem as I really want this phone to invade the consciousness of the smartphone buying public as a true iPhone alternative.

Gutted.
  13. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

That's quite a few cracked screens I've read about now. Well. About 5. Hope it's not a design flaw. Unless the sticky out camera is putting pressure on the screen from behind, if anyone can envisage what I mean.

So sorry to hear about your woes. Guess I won't just be lobbing mine in my handbag like I've done with every other gadget I've owned.
  14. mrblueboyblitz

mrblueboyblitz New Member

I am completely gutted, and starting to have mixed feelings about google. I spent about 3 years waiting for a true competitor to the iphone, and ordered the nexus one the other day, then within a few hours, dropped it, not very far or hard, and bang the whole screen was a cracked up mess, it still works but has shards of glass now coming off the screen. I was completely shocked and gutted! its not just the money its that finally someone has come up with a true iphone competitor and I badly wanted it. This phone was beautiful and it came very quickly, I genuinely felt like a kid at christmas, and was very very happy to start a what I thought would be a long relationship with google instead of apple (which i make a ethical point of not buying there products). Now I don't know what to do, over $250 including shipping to have it repaired, but is it worth it when I know the screen is so fragile. I appealed to htc with no give, and google have not replied to my plea. I can't justify replacing the screen and it being so delicate, plus they seem so unhelpful with customer support.

If anyone knows of any solution I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks
  15. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

damn! I guess no Gorilla Glass on the N1
  16. BlkBear

BlkBear Member

Even Gorilla glass will break on the the first drop, especially if it's a edge hit. That's the problem with all tempered glass, including gorilla glass. It can stand up to the shock of a strike or a drop if it does not make contact with the striking surface. But let it take an edge blow or a stress/flex to the hit, and you normally get spider glass, instead of gorilla glass.

The good thing is most of the time you get lucky and nothing happens, but shock can still zap the LCD (or other display type) screens being covered by temper glass. This is because the display screen glass (if it is glass) is much thinner and does not flex or handle stress and impact shock as well and the protective glass that you touch, does.

And pocket sitting puts a lot of stress and flex on the case and everything inside the case, before you feel the phone and jump up to remove it from your pocket.
  17. w_reavis

w_reavis Member

i just found a place in northern California that repairs the screen on the nexus...i called them (888-990-7555) they have repaired about 10 already and the cost is $169 they use original HTC parts..... i was hesitant at first to send my phone to them but they have repaired broken iphones since day 1 so i sent if off and they same day they recieved it i got a call and said they were taking my phone apart and it would be ready the next day.... i recieved it back today and was thrilled at the quick turn around time ..and my phone still looks new... not even a mark on it...
    here is the email for them info@n1repair.com hope this helps

WR
  18. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

i cant believe people would pay that amount of money to do something they could do themselves for nothing... really seems ridic.
    also, i dont see why anyone would think that broken glass would EVER be covered by a basic warranty.
  19. w_reavis

w_reavis Member

according to N1Repair its not just the glass its the digitizer and glass combined kind of like the iphone
  20. pwnvds

pwnvds Active Member

HTC ended up sending me another phone for free, but drcellphone said they would fix it for $150, same day service (excluding shipping obviously).
  21. hood420

hood420 Well-Known Member

22. WayneS

WayneS Active Member

Gorilla glass is not tempered. I haven't seen any portable devices with tempered glass. If it were tempered it would break into a thousand tiny pieces instead of long shards. Also, I am pretty sure Gorilla glass will not break on the first drop. I dropped my N1 last night. It landed on our hardwood floor and slid face down about 15 feet. The glass did get a couple of small scratches but it did not break.

Check out the video link from Corning. Especially at :52 seconds in.

http://www.corning.com/uploadedFiles/Corporate/Gorilla_Glass/Assets/Video/Gorilla Glass_300k.wmv
  23. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

I think Samsung Galaxy's screen is tempered glass, and Nokia 8800's too
  24. Haldo

Haldo Member

ah just when i thought this was a one off problem i see it again.

please please dont let this be a design flaw.

my phone is arriving tomorrow, i'll be keeping a close eye on the screen.
  25. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

What? The lovely lady on the train?