Nexus One Dubai

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by procrastination, Apr 12, 2010.

1. procrastination

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi,

Sorry for the dumb question. I am currently holding out for an N1 on Verizon. I am planning a trip to Dubai later this year. A friend of mine told me that my Verizon phone will be worthless as soon as I leave the US. Will this be true once I get my hands on a VSW Nexus One?

Again, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Advertisement
  2. ironcrotch

ironcrotch New Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Your friend is right since Verizon uses CDMA tech and GSM seems to be the standard, there are a few countries that use CDMA.

Maybe look up what cell technologies are available in Dubai.

If you're a world traveler definitely you want a GSM phone.

3. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Boston Baby!
    May want to wait to see what the specs on the n1 for VZW are... its entirely possible that it'll be released as a world phone... they've done it before and I don't know that they have a world phone other than the storm. It would certainlyhelp Androids market share to have a cdma/world phone.

4. procrastination

Apr 12, 2010
    Crap - I need to get a phone for work like right now. I just got another email telling me that I needed to get off the BB Server at my office (I am just one of three left who are still using it). I see that the Droid Incredible was just announced but it looks like that device is also going to be limited by the CDMA network. (I guess I will just have to use WiFi and Skype while I am overseas) - Good reason to be drunk instead of working. "Out of office reply: I am out of the country and will have limited access to phone and internet. Please leave me a message. I will check them when I sober. :)"

5. DellyBelly

DellyBelly Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ops Manager
    Philadelphia
    You could just get a cheap unlocked gsm phone for less than 40 bucks and use a local SIM; thats what I usually did when traveling out of the US with my iphone; although the unlocked Nexus allows me to pop in any other SIM now.

Do not use your VZ phone overseas though; some countries do support CDMA but the roaming charges are beyond crazy. I was in India and using my company wireless card and phone and let me tell you that bill was well over 2k for just a few days; not to mention service in india on almost any network is crap.

6. maq

maq Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I usually take 2 phones when I travel , one with roaming ( work sim) and I buy a local sim
    for the other , I don't answer the roaming unless it is work related .
    I use local sim for local calls and personal calls and text .
    roaming charges are ridicules .

Tags: