• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One getting Pinch Zoom

Originally Posted by andrew53517
Droid is going on ebay the moment the nexus one hits verizon... sorry but the Nexus one just gets updated better

Interesting point, since this will be the first update, and it has not actually arrived yet for most people.
Quote:
and is just an overall a better device. I regret not waiting
Well, it depends on what you want. It has no keyboard and a "less standard" resolution than the Droid.

Having said that, I fully intend to get an N1 when they hit VZW. But not because they are 'updated better;' rather, because of the form factor and display.

really andrew? REALLY! they had a shit phone so they threw them a bone, really! it fixed 3g and then as an added bonus gave them that, droid will get that stuff asap! just not yet.

and whoever said droid gets that tonight, i dunno!

and! nexus one ota update.zip won't work on our phones right?

Upvote 0
really andrew? REALLY! they had a shit phone so they threw them a bone, really! it fixed 3g and then as an added bonus gave them that, droid will get that stuff asap! just not yet.

and whoever said droid gets that tonight, i dunno!

and! nexus one ota update.zip won't work on our phones right?

The dev's have something from the update.zip running on the droid, giving us 2.1 and multitouch but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

And I kinda agree with you, we got an update right after launch as well, I just wish we would get 2.1 already.

Upvote 0
yep, exactly, i guess i will wait for pete to add this stuff to the beast! when he does, i will just be able to run update.zip to do it i am guessing? that would be sweet! pete and some of the others need to get apps going so that i can just one click update, i am sure its easier said than done though!

Upvote 0
Guys, besides the N1 and Droid, are there any phones even running Android 2+ ?

Just relax, the N1 is currently the flagship phone, and this update is an update to the flagship OS, 2.1. If the Droid were running 2.1, we would've gotten the same update.

Just think, the Droid's been out since November, and all previous Android devices haven't gotten 2.0 yet, and now we're complaining because the N1 got an update, even though we all KNOW that 2.1 is coming to the Droid?

Anyways, whoever said they're going to defect to the N1 when it comes to Verizon, have fun. If you're not into the hardware keyboard, the N1 certainly does have a nice form factor.

However, just keep in mind, my Droid is and will be faster than your N1 :D

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree with you. If Nexus has 2.1 I don't see why we shouldn't, other than sales.

Well, Keep in mind that the Nexus 1 is google's baby for the time being. But even they are sending updates to that phone to iron out some kinks, which is why that is the only phone that is being sold under the google website for now. And you want droid to get pinch and zoom. Understandable, but don't say that it's not fair that the droid doesn't have that yet. At least droids came out with 2.0, and everyone was fine with that until the Nexus 1 with 2.1 was released. Why? Don't know... but everyone who had a sip of Haterade had something to say about it. What about the other Android phones that have been released before the Droid? for all the Heros, moments, cliqs, beholds, eris',mt3g's that are still without 2.x, yet still operating on 1.x. Be fortunate for the device that you have.. because it is a good one, but it's no better than the other Androids out there and shouldn't get special treatment just because it's the "Droid".

Upvote 0
You also have to remember that N1 doesn't have any check gates to go through before a release of updates. For the DROID, first it has to be released by Google, then it has to be optimized to the Motorola hardware and then lastly go through VZW's QC/QA. I'm not sweating it. Will be nice if/when it comes, but I've lived without it for so long I don't even miss the lack of it.

Upvote 0
I agree with the others before me... this market fragmentation is really annoying. When I purchased my Droid, I didn't even know the "Google phone (N1)" would be coming out a month later preloaded witn 2.1. At first, I was pissed, but then I calmed down because I thought we'd be getting a 2.1 update quickly but here we are in Feb with no solid ETA and I'm aggravated.

Don't be, I think if you keep predicting what'll happen, it'll just drive you Nuts, anyway didn't we receive reports that Nexus 2 may arrive this year? lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones