Nexus One, HTC Desire, or Samsunf Galaxy S

Last Updated:

1. KhaotiX

KhaotiX Member This Topic's Starter

I am getting one of these phones, brand new and factory unlocked
    HTC Desire - $450 (version with AMOLED screen)
    Nexus One - $375 (version with AMOLED screen)
    Samsung Galaxy S - $425

I am also interested in the hardware for all the devices and realize that the samsung processor is far superior to the snapdragon but when will that be an advantage.

Also is there a way around the Touchwiz interface like a cuatom rom is out and if there is then how do I use it. I enjoy stock android the most but it isnt a major issue

Advertisement
  2. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Having owned a Nexus One for about 6-7 months or so, I think I would go for an HTC Desire now, if I was buying again with the knowledge I have right now, and now that Froyo is out for the Desire. The Nexus One doesn't really have an advantage any more given the extra facilities the Desire has over the N1 (despite largely the same hardware). I had hoped that Google would make sure the N1 worked properly but there's a severe bug in the N1 calendar app that I have to work around daily, it's been there since the original N1 release and wasn't fixed in Froyo or any of the other releases which is poor. If you create a multi-day (or even sometimes single day) all-day appointment, if you tap on it in most calendar views the start date gets moved back a day so a 2-day appointment beginning on a Wednesday for example becomes a three-day appointment beginning on a Tuesday. So basically I can't use the in-built calendar. There's been a bug report about this open in the android bug tracker since the first release of the N1 and it's never been attended to. This and a few other bugs in the N1 have never been addressed since the first release which is disappointing. It's still an excellent phone but I think I'd try a Desire.

Samsung it seems have a reputation for poor updates and support for their phones, whether that's still true or not I don't know, but I'd also be wary of those.

What I am now waiting for though is a phone with a keyboard, the HTC Blaze looks interesting being about the same size as the N1/Desire but with a keyboard, I'm also tempted by a Droid but am waiting until either my N1's apparent recent hardware fault forces me to buy a new phone, or until Gingerbread is released before I get another phone.

3. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

If you only want stock android, just get the Nexus one. Install Cyanogenmod, ???? profit!.
    The only reason to get the Samsung Galaxy S is for the hardware. And it will NEVER have the support the nexus one will have. The Desire though, is out of the question so I don't reccomend it.

4. KhaotiX

ive heard alot bout cyanogen but i hav no idea what it is

5. KhaotiX

I've heard alot of bad thingz about the Nexus One like the multitouch is horrible and dust gets underneath the screen really easily and its does not hav 720p video recording

6. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

nexus one - free hotspot FTW!

7. KhaotiX

I rrly dont need that cuz of the fact im not even getting data

8. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I have never seen a spec of dust under my screen (and i've smudged it pretty bad for such a pretty phone, shocked myself).
    The multitouch is only bothersome when you play a multitouch game which uses some sort of onscreen touchpad. And even then only occasionally. And the desire uses the same hardware for the screen digitizer so exact same 'problem'.
    And I'm recording video in 720p, although I was fine with whatever it was before too, I don't record anything 'professional' with my phone, as none should :p