Nexus one in Central America?

Last Updated:

1. donalgodon

donalgodon Member This Topic's Starter

If I buy the US version and bring to my GSM network here, would I be losing any functionality or be unable to get software updates, etc?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. donalgodon

Does the phone support Spanish and English on the same setup? That is, can I speak in Spanish to type/search the same as I can in English?

3. celuloco

celuloco Member

Hola,

It will depend on the 3G frequency of your phone company. Most of the world operates on 2100 (like T-Mobile), but some latin-american and american carriers, notably ATT use 850 or 1900.

If your country supports 3G and it is not 2100, then your data will be downgraded to Edge.

4. donalgodon

I think that is true, but what I am interested in is the language capacity of the Nexus One. Do you know if it supports both English and Spanish simultaneously?

What about OTA updates to Android? How are they sent to the phone? The networks here are largely EDGE/GSM based, but the Nexus is not "officially" supported. Will I be able to get software updates?

I am sure that this affect many people who travel internationally as well, so I am sure that somehow, this question is bound to surface.

Any insight?

5. celuloco

celuloco Member

I am getting a Nexus One today, unlocked, brought to Europe by a friend in the USA.:D I am also interested in the multilingual capabilities of the phone, including spanish, so I will give it a try and let you know!

Support of upgrades should work no matter which carrier, regardless if they support the phone or not. This is sent to you by google "over the air", one of the reasons to get it unlocked on the first place.

I think google was adamant to bring its own device (even if made by HTC) precisely for that reason, to keep a tightened control over the software part.

I currently own a Hero and I can tell you, even though Sense is beautiful, it is slightly annoying because you don't get those updates right away.

Saludos

6. celuloco

celuloco Member

So here is the info concerning multilingual support. It does offer english, french, italian, spanish, german, polish (I believe) and 3 asian languages right off the box.

Now...regarding the dictation :confused:

In spanish, it did not understand anything I said, even simple commands such as "comida china".

In english, it works somewhat better, but my accent seems to be bothering google. :eek: Good enough for small phrases, but definitely not usable for a long sentence.

One thing I miss (or have not found) is the ability to switch languages from the keyboard itself. You have to go to the main menu and switch the entire system to the languate you want to write in, like the Hero or the Iphone. Not very handy. Maybe there is an app that does that.