• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus One Music Syncing?

Coming from an iPhone, I already have an established library of my music. I found 'iTunes Agent' that integrates with any device (Not just the Nexus One).
It lets you sync your iTunes library with a folder basically.

It isn't that simple though, you actually have to sync a playlist from iTunes that the iTunes agent actually reads and uses. It does setup the playlist in iTunes for you so you can just select all your current music and add it to the playlist and it will sync.

I'm finding it to be an almost perfect solution to sync my music over. The only downside is that my tags aren't stored in the files themselves it would seem and only in iTunes. This causes me to have duplicate albums for songs tagged with different album names (slightly different titles etc).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Laxe
Upvote 0
Coming from an iPhone, I already have an established library of my music. I found 'iTunes Agent' that integrates with any device (Not just the Nexus One).

It isn't that simple though, you actually have to sync a playlist from iTunes that the iTunes agent actually reads and uses. It does setup the playlist in iTunes for you so you can just select all your current music and add it to the playlist and it will sync.

I'm finding it to be an almost perfect solution to sync my music over. The only downside is that my tags aren't stored in the files themselves it would seem and only in iTunes. This causes me to have duplicate albums for songs tagged with different album names (slightly different titles etc).

Hope this helps.

Nice find! Works perfect on my Nexus One. Shame it doesn't sync the playlists but that's a moot point really.

Upvote 0

Hope this helps.

The Missing Sync does sync playlists - I created a specific one for the N1 syncs... I just wish I could sync my podcasts and have it understand the ones I've listened to and the ones I have yet to.

The simple things, huh?

Upvote 0
The Missing Sync does sync playlists - I created a specific one for the N1 syncs... I just wish I could sync my podcasts and have it understand the ones I've listened to and the ones I have yet to.

The simple things, huh?

iTunes Agent is free, The Missing Sync's cheapest version is $39.99 which I found very expensive for something that mearly sync's music. Good if you need it but a little overpriced in my eyes.

Upvote 0
Where can I try TuneSync? I googled it but all I got was Belkin TuneSync dock lol.

Basically I think these kinds of apps, specifically iTunesAgent, are aimed at people who have used or do use iTunes and already have an established library of music.
For me I find it easier because I have my music spread all over my various hard drives and the fact that iTunes has it all in one place already saves me a lot of headache.

I do agree that the it would be better if it could handle playlists but realistically you can create your own right on the device. So it's already one step ahead of iPhone/iPod.

Just waiting for the 32GB microSD card prices to go down now :D

Upvote 0
I don't think you can. You have to upgrade the song to the format without the DRM embedded. I think it costs 30 cents per song to do that. I have 30 songs myself, but most everything else came over.

There may be a better way but I ended up copying my drm songs to cd using itunes, then ripping them back to comp using media monkey in a nexus compatible format, eg ogg, then, again using media monkey, uploading to nexus.

Tedious, but it gets the job done. And it's free!

Upvote 0
Media Monkey does a great job of syncing with the Nexus One. If you have iTunes, the free Salling Media Sync should do a fine job. With either, yes, you must make sure any DRM music has been converted. When I used to use iTunes, I did that as soon as I bought something. I am now so happy to be using Media Monkey and so happy to no longer have the itunes infrastructure on my laptop at all.

Upvote 0
Add one more for Media Monkey, especially if you have a large music collection. It has loads of built in tools for managing your music.

My all-time favorite tool is the ability to downsize your music files during the transfer to a portable device. This is especially useful if your music collection is lossless. For example, my music is mostly encoded in FLAC, but Media Monkey transcodes it to 128kbps when it transfers to a portable device (this feature is not available in the free version).

Upvote 0
if you're coming from itunes, doubletwist (they even tried to make it look identical lol).

for techies and power users: mediamonkey. Can be tricky to set up, more options and features than the kitchen sink, but once you have it humming nothing comes close.
Its even smart enough so say you sync an album and a playlist that contains some songs off that album - it won't double copy the same songs, it will automagically create the correct playlist paths pointing back to original copy etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones