• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus one network settings..

Teknologic

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
Belgium
Hi there,
I'm looking to cut back on my battery consumption and understand that the N1 radio can be somewhat of a hog.
So here's my question: Do I best set my preferred network type to gsm or wcdma? Knowing that I'm not on a mobile broadband subscription anyway, so the only internet I'll be getting will be through wifi anyway.
I would assume the GSM option is the way to go but then again I read that it's a 3G phone so forcing it in GSM only might actually put more strain on the radio or smth and result in more battery loss.
Using the phone the way I do, will I notice a difference in call quality, text send speed/reliability or anything else when using wcdma instead of gsm?

I should perhaps also mention that I'm using the US unlocked version of N1 and that I'm located in Belgium, on the proximus network.

Any help or knowledge you can offer will be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: Just to be clear I'm editing my settings through the '3646'-interface.
Some of my other options besides gsm or wcdma include:
CDMA only
GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
EvDo only

But I wouldn't know what any of those would do.. anyone? :)

Thanks for that, I'll definately check those apps out, all I've been using so far was ES task manager.
But don't they require me to root my phone? I'm a bit hesitant about that; new android user alltogether and havn't had this phone for even a month yet.

But I'm still looking for ways to conserve on my radio usage, because I ran a little test on it..
I've set my network to gsm only and disabled everything else I could. No gps, network, screen brightness minimum etc. And I locked my phone for many hours, completely not using it in any way. After many hours I unlocked it to find 20% battery has been drained. When I check my battery usage it says 40% cell standby (so the phone's radio) and 37% phone idle and only 2-4% by apps and the OS.
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact I stored it in my neoprene sleeve (head-first) and the radio has more difficulties getting a signal through?
In any case this seems like too much battery drainage coming from the radio while doing absolutely nothing..
I'll try to run the exact same test with my network set to wcdma soon..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones