Nexus one Rooting

Last Updated:

1. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Should i really root my Nexus One? I don't want to void the warranty and i used to drop my phone ALOT! If the warranty doesn't cover it, what does it cover? Am i able to relock the bootloader?

And afterwards if i was to do so, what would i do with it? I want to make this the post of everything that can be done with a rooted N1 :p So Here we go

(First question is most important)

Advertisement
  2. anotherfandroid

anotherfandroid Banned

why would u root? for a tacky widget? not worth voiding warranty imo. u wanna root to get full multitouch? there's an easier solution: just return the phone and get a palm pre or an iphone. you'll be crying like a baby when you brick your phone....

3. mudrock1000

Rooting you're phone is very unlikely to brick it unless you do something that wasn't even foreseen in the development of the software used to unlock the bootloader and root it.
    Most of the bricking usually comes from a bunch of people that try to skip steps or combine steps when they do something, such as radio mods and what not, and i'm not doing that.

Personally i think HTC's warranty standards are ridiculous. It's basically like claiming my rooting caused my screen to break when you can clearly see all the dust under it.

4. Germwise

Germwise Well-Known Member

isn't it illegal to void warranty based on a root? There were some court cases back when people were being denied warranty coverage on their cars because they had modded a different part.

Like people installing aftermarket mufflers and then denied warranty when the engine block cracked at 30k miles

personally I think this needs to be addressed. We don't want people returning bricked phones, but if the screen breaks etc, rooting didn't do it.

5. mudrock1000

While i was scrolling through XDA today, apparently it isn't but I bet if enough people complained, they'd alter their policy. It seems weird that they made the rooting so easy but to unroot it and what not is impossible? Seems weird to me.

6. mudrock1000

Bump, just because this is something I'd Like to discuss :p

7. Germwise

Germwise Well-Known Member

Actually few nice things you can get if you root.

More control over what programs open. Who wants corporate calendar?

MT to all Google apps

Wave secure (you can get unrooted how is it better if rooted?)

Tethering via wifi. Make your own AP anywhere!

8. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Apparently people are working on re-locking the boot loader. I don't think I'd mess with mine till that was sorted.

9. xtop

xtop Well-Known Member

This is an amusing post. If you want multitouch, download the browser from the market. Get an iPhone? Dramatic much?

10. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

I think the way it is implemented in some roms you get more consistency out of the GPS. Not 100% on that though.

Right now theres ZERO reason unless you need tethering.

Browser/Gallery/KB apps on the market have MT/PinchZoom functions if needed.

Eventually youll want to root for the features and modifications some ROM makers give you.

Alot of apps that change little features only work on rooted phones.
    Custom Themes, new update features before they drop to public , tons of tweaks that may fit your needs etc.

Lots of reasons to root but you should wait until its worth it.

Its extremely simple to do. Just wait a bit for good roms to be out and for N1 HW/SW issues to be out in the clear before you decide.

11. mudrock1000

I might root if the custom rom comes out that will enable multi touch on all apps, or if something comes along to fix my 3g. One of the two, because it's getting ridiculous IMO.

12. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

Yes, I hope they can fix this AND WOULD NOT ROOT UNTIL THIS IS MADE. If HTC gave you a faulty phone, and you can't unroot...you just lost 500 bucks.

13. anotherfandroid

anotherfandroid Banned

i meant the new hacker MT, not dolphin.

14. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Supposedly, cyanogen will have a release soon with full MT. Another reason to root which wasn't mentioned is AdBlock.

15. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Must admit, although I don't think the absence of MT in vanilla Android is such a big deal, the functionality is built in to enable it if desired (i.e. Dolphin).

But, would be possibly tempted if Cyanogen released a ROM with it enabled across a lot more apps on the Nexus.....just depends how well it is executed.

Oh and please anotherfandroid, don't reply to my post or quote it, as I am getting a little tired of seeing your dribble on this forum (I don't mind negative comments on Android, Nexus, Droid, etc, etc - just think your approach sucks camel's balls!).

Just pop back to whatever forum your probably should belong to......there's a good little boy :p

16. moto1907

moto1907 Active Member

^^lmao

17. mudrock1000

Fandroid is kinda pissing me off i agree. Why is he here?

18. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Apple fanboy?

19. mudrock1000

Inerd- an incredibly self centered iphone user.

20. Abom

Abom Member

***droid imo tbh