Nexus One submerged in water

Last Updated:

1. Buck Shot

Buck Shot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So i got shoulder surgery last week and Im in a sling. So im on the phone with my headset and my phone is in my sling. I start to wash my hands and lean forward due to lack of movement in my right shoulder and my N1 slid out hit the drain and the water ran on it for about 2-3 secs. I immediately grab it and wipe it off. Funny thing is my phone call was still connected.

I hang up and its starts flashing all funny. I open up the battery compartment and tried to wipe it dry. So now its in a seal bowl of rice. I turned it on this morning and it started up fine and then started getting buggy. I put it back in the rice. The battery compartment didnt really get wet as my lil wet tab thing didnt change colors. Most water was entered in the trackball. Screen is good. In time I hope it works out.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Advertisement
  2. twist123

twist123 Well-Known Member

What youre doing is spot on, could also try an airing cupboard but leave it off for a few days not hours in the rice.

3. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Worst thing you can do is turn it on with any dampness still in there. As twist said, leave it for days, not hours - to be sure.

Good luck!

4. hipocrazy

hipocrazy Well-Known Member

I spilt an entire glass of water on my HTC Touch while sleeping, it was on my night stand. The next morning nothing on the phone worked. I bought an Omnia to replace it. Three months later I came across the battery and thought I might as well try, popped it in, plugged it in and to my surprise everything worked just fine.

Hope it all works out for you!

5. Foo (AZ)

Foo (AZ) Well-Known Member

The rice idea is a good one. I wouldn't have thought about trying that. I would have left the phone sitting for a few days to dry out. Best of luck!

6. paradox

paradox New Member

rice works. did it on a friends droid that fell directly into a capt coke

7. jsward12

jsward12 Well-Known Member

Take it apart and put it in the fridge. The fridge will dehumidify the electronics.

8. Buck Shot

Buck Shot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so its been 24hrs. I took it out of the rice and it works like a charm. all functions work and all. I think i lucked out on the amount of water it took.

As for the rice. thats what I heard to use from people and google...lol Rice in a sealed container absorbs the water apparently and I also heard something about rubbing alcohol but I aint about to pour that on anything. The thought of more liquid is too risky IMO. Thanks guys.

9. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

Does this actually work?

10. Axe_1

Axe_1 Well-Known Member

I work in a food processing plant where they do wash downs nightly. We have alot of PLC's, electronics in the plant that do get wet. If you get to it soon and powerdown, dry it out. This will usually take care of it. People tend to kindof freak out about water and electronics. If the water didnt damage any of the electronics, the device will be ok when the water is totally dried out. We usually use heat guns or compressed dry air and let the devices sit out in a warm dry enviroment. Saves alot of money!

Been there done it and still doing it...lol

11. nerdgang

nerdgang Member

no Buck not rubbing alcohol, if anything pure acetone but don't pour it in...if anything you'd have to take the phone apart, I'm sure there are water markers under the track ball, if you ever had to send the phone back.

12. Air Force One

Air Force One Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's okay! I'm keeping some rice around in case this ever happens to me.:D

13. twist123

twist123 Well-Known Member

Top Tip: Thats why you put a bit of rice in your salt shaker, stops it from clumping up by removing the moisture.