Nexus One: Two Quick Questions

Last Updated:

1. fancyst

fancyst Member This Topic's Starter

Right, I'm thinking of getting the Nexus One, and I think I'm sold on it, but I have two quick questions in the meantime.

1) The Nexus One does have multitouch, right? I've been getting a bit confused from what I've been reading online, as to whether it does by now, which I hope it does.

And,

2) How does the trackball feel? I've hardly seen any mention of it in various reviews I've read and watched about it.

If it helps, I'm in the UK :)

Advertisement
  2. talksinmaths

talksinmaths Active Member

The Nexus One is multitouch and it is implemented in stock gallery and browser, as well as other apps. The trackball is fine. I only use it occasionally, mostly to select text and move the cursor.

3. sourmilk

sourmilk Well-Known Member

It has pinch to zoom, which works well. Other actions that require more than two fingers are not supported afaik but I've never tested it.
    I really like the trackball and use it often to navigate. It uses the same trackball as on the blackberry and it feels similar.

4. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

While the trackball is a seldom used item for me its handy for text correction and in some cases it can be easier to select things with it such as a web page where there are a lot of links close together. Multi touch got fixed up a little with froyo. Before you had to be careful not to get your fingers too close together during pinch zooming or it would cross axis. Now you have to almost try to get it to happen.

5. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

1) has been answered already......I am running Froyo and was running a custom ROM previously, and reported multi-touch occasional issues are I think now mostly resolved (not had one for ages).

2) the trackball I like for coloured notifications (sounds pathetic but actually quite useful - e.g. missed call = red; text = etc, etc). But also, the trackball is good for finding specific words or links....

6. Rhysd2

Rhysd2 Well-Known Member

1. been answered. :)

2. Im wondering if you meant how it physically feels when you asked the question. If so heres my 2 pence. Its quite rigid and not rubberised. Theres a slightly rough feeling to the surface which makes it grip my finger better. The action of pushing it down has good resistance and snap back. As trackballs go its pretty good.

However I dont use it that often. My main use for it is scrolling down web pages when Im feeling too lazy to touch the screen. However having it flash when I have notifications is beyond brilliant.

7. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

As someone who came from HTC Desire, I can tell you that Nexus One trackball is MUCH better. It's way more responsive and even though it's a bit ugly, it gives you colored notifications which Desire can't.

8. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat as the OP.

I think I am settled on the Nexus (as opposed to the desire) - but with regards to multitouch: is it implemented in the keyboard too? I know my Hero didn't have this. Does the Nexus?

9. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

Honestly I'm not sure. With the htc board or swipe multi touch is pretty much a non issue for me as there isnt a need as I use the device. It capitalizes and such on its own pretty much as needed. Swype is my preferred method and it works fine on froyo. Gonna have to go check that out.

10. sourmilk

sourmilk Well-Known Member

if you asking whether the keyboard recognize multiple simultaneous button presses, the answer is no.

11. fancyst

fancyst Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the help :D You've convinced me ;D

And yes, RhysD2, that's what I meant. :)