• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One update? Where is our Hero update?!

This is one of the big reasons to by unlocked from the manufacturer(yes I know HTC actually builds it but you know what I mean) There is not waiting for the carrier to take the updates and sit on them forever "testing" them. With the unlocked phones as soon as google gets them readyt you have them. Our updates are sitting in Sprint's labs somewhere being overtested into oblivion.

Upvote 0
This seems to be a no win for sprint or HTC! If they rush it and it has tons of bugs (We know it will anyway) then they have to patch it up ASAP! and most times if not all a patch is not the best way to deal with anything, Its just a quick fix. If they take there time then people start to get mad that there phone has what it came with and not something new for free.? I am sure that all (when I say all I mean some) of you know, taking an os from 1.5 to 2 can be a big thing. Does anyone know how much of the file structure has changed/been added? Added in seance ui to all the new features and making sure the phone is in best of shape is not a one night job. To all the people that cant wait, Dont forget. . They are doing this to make you happy and are not going to make any money off of us by doing so. So just wait. (Our phones can still to things other android phones cant :) )

Upvote 0
Seriously. The N1 is hardly a month old and they are already putting out updates for it. Where is our 2.1 update for the Hero?!

Come on... Gee, already -ENOUGH with these posts about "I want it and I wanted it NOW!!!"

It's on it's way, ETA unknown... who cares... when it is, it will be - "then" and not before.

All GOOD things come to those who wait!

:cool:

Upvote 0
Come on... Gee, already -ENOUGH with these posts about "I want it and I wanted it NOW!!!"

It's on it's way, ETA unknown... who cares... when it is, it will be - "then" and not before.

All GOOD things come to those who wait!

Amen brother... Now if my wife would just hurry up and finish cooking those biscuits... I am hungry now! Oh wait... if she rushed them they would be under cooked or burnt, and then I would be pissed. Kinda like of we rushed our update... How is that for a analogy?

Most things are at their best if not rushed.

Upvote 0
Amen brother... Now if my wife would just hurry up and finish cooking those biscuits... I am hungry now! Oh wait... if she rushed them they would be under cooked or burnt, and then I would be pissed. Kinda like of we rushed our update... How is that for a analogy?

Most things are at their best if not rushed.
Pretty good analogy!

Upvote 0
you guys do realize that the longer the update takes, the longer the hero is out, causing it to become very old with new phones coming out this summer with android as the os. This is where it kind of sucks. Unless you are really hooked on the hero. When the supersonic drops, will a lot of people be happy with a new market and ui optimization on the hero update.... I think not. We all want whats hot and new. Htc dropped the ball with not getting this update out as soon as possible. I understand the rushing situation but come on...first half of 2010. kind of leaves it wide open. They need to resolve this fragmentation problem they are creating. too many hands in the pot right now. Blur, Sense, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1....

Upvote 0
you guys do realize that the longer the update takes, the longer the hero is out, causing it to become very old with new phones coming out this summer with android as the os. This is where it kind of sucks. Unless you are really hooked on the hero. When the supersonic drops, will a lot of people be happy with a new market and ui optimization on the hero update.... I think not. We all want whats hot and new. Htc dropped the ball with not getting this update out as soon as possible. I understand the rushing situation but come on...first half of 2010. kind of leaves it wide open. They need to resolve this fragmentation problem they are creating. too many hands in the pot right now. Blur, Sense, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1....

I agree! Its very frustrating to not be able to get some apps with a device that was just released in October. I could care less about new features/ui tweaks, app fragmentation is the real issue with all these dif versions of Android running around.

I could understand if our device was a year old like the G1, but hell, even the G1 has 1.6 and access to almost all apps.

Upvote 0
I will say the one reason why "just be patient" isn't really good enough for me is I am tired of hearing about an awesome new apps (google goggles for instance) and...oh wait, 1.6+...

Goggles, the new marketplace (no screenshots SUCKS). I dunno, it just kind of annoys me that my phone was out for what, two months before it was already made obsolete by google themselves.

Buy a phone and it can't even run apps released two months later...just, wtf...

Upvote 0
I will say the one reason why "just be patient" isn't really good enough for me is I am tired of hearing about an awesome new apps (google goggles for instance) and...oh wait, 1.6+...

Goggles, the new marketplace (no screenshots SUCKS). I dunno, it just kind of annoys me that my phone was out for what, two months before it was already made obsolete by google themselves.

Buy a phone and it can't even run apps released two months later...just, wtf...

Could not agree more.

Upvote 0
Agreed with what has been said. This phone is like 3 months old and there have already been what? three updates (1.6, 2.0, 2.1) since? fact of the matter is, Google has been delaying everything so the Nexus One would have an exclusive and try to force people who cant wait into buying that. At the risk of pissing off thousands of other Android users, thats not smart. They really need to get all their phones in order and fast before the iphone comes out on other carriers and people say buh bye to Android and Google's lack of updating software.

Upvote 0
First I don't think 6 months is "reasonable", that's pretty GD vague.

As for this being a Nexus One conspiracy...that makes little sense. HTC makes the N1, and the Hero, why would they bother making the Hero if they colluded with Google to shaft it?

What this boils down to is this: Poorly thought out upgrade path by google. Making a modular framework would have been a better way to handle this, allowing people to install updated extensions or new ones for the API would enable a LOT of future features to be supported on older core OS's. As it stands now it's like if MS made .NET a core part of the OS and the only way to upgrade it was to upgrade your entire OS, what misery.

Add on top of that a handset maker who, really doesn't have any pressure to work on this, and you get the inexcusable SIX MONTHS to port over some bells and whistles. Actually more than 6 months as 2.x came out before years end. So what they are saying is that in little more than the time it took to develop their ENTIRE customized OS, they can only manage to port rosie, and some other features, a LOT of which were only "custom" in 1.5 and are now standard in 2.x.

And finally the fault is ours for jumping whole hog on a custom version of Android. As nice as Rosie looks, anyone really think it's worth the effort? And all the slowdown associated with Sense. Plus a MASSIVE delay to port it every time.

The Magic already has more than we do because literally they take the drivers for the phones radio, camera, gps, etc. Compile them under whatever version, resolve some minor issues...and it's done...

Upvote 0
I bought the phone with WORKING FLASH, why the hell can I not have a working flash NOW!!! I love the phone, I feel like they dangled it infront of me to buy it and then when I did, BAM they yanked the rug out from under me. (the flash issue is what pisses me off, I can wait for the update)

Upvote 0
Omg... I'm sorry to get a little rough here, but give it a rest already. If you had any problem with the phone regarding function, unavailable updates, apps, market, or any simple reason at all you had 30 days to change your mind! So you can't say like days of old, gee, I got STUCK with it.

Not only that, but just like Chief7 said, try another OS (WinMo) and the never arriving update or support for that matter.

Oh, and for you conspiracy theorists... mind you, 2.1 has been out, its in HTC's (Sense) hands and Sprint's (Bloatware) too. It's just too much to listen to the ridiculous - gimme it now... gotta have it now - whining!

Anyway... have a nice day!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones