• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One versus Evo and SOUND

funkygh

Lurker
Dec 30, 2010
had my evo for about 24 hours. I've been a nexus one user for the last year and change.
I am relatively unbiased - I don't WANT to love or to hate a phone, I just want to use it.
OK.
size:
at first I thought the evo would be too big and bulky. the nexus is so sleek and it feels nice because it's all metal.
wrong - the evo feels better in spite of the plastic back. the size fits in my hand better. I feel a lot less likely to drop it. and it feels better against my face when talking.
Here is the real kicker though - the nexus never really was a replacement for a computer. the few occasions I left my laptop home and went on a trip, I was frustrated by trying to do everything (email, schedule, etc etc) on the Nexus; although the nexus is a GREAT computer - it's just a little too small.
The evo is big enough to do the job. the extra size makes reading, typing, and navigating easy enough that I'm pretty sure I won't miss my com on my next short trip.
speed:
as far as I can tell the evo is as fast as the nexus.
4G: well I never had a data plan with the nexus cause I'm cheap, I didn't care to check my email every 5 seconds, and people who twitter and facebook every second are either kids, or just plain silly and not getting anything done.
the 4G works great in my house. I live in new york city but funny enough the sprint coverage map (which is ridiculously detailed) showed a blank spot where my house is. anyway it seems pretty close to as fast as my time warner cable wifi connection... so far....
the 3G seems to be ok also.
camera: haven't used it enough yet to tell
video: it plays back more formats than the nexus, and it records in HD with choices for h.263 h.264 and mp4 I think, so it's a much better vidcam. don't know about the quality - will update once I upload some things and look at them in premier on a big screen.
sprint proprietary software version: ummm, it's a little overdone, but I don't think it's hateful like some folks have said. the basic android thing is fine for me.
some of the apps in this version are better - calendar, contacts, and email most importantly.
this is the only place where iphone still wins - mac OS (in spite of it's post OS9 dumbing-down) still feels PRO, whereas android, windows and windows mobile still feel a little chintsy - like they're made for amateurs. too many bells and whistles designed to help grandma warm up to technology.
NOW, for the whole reason I'm writing this - SOUND!!!!!!
(I'm in the audio business btw)
The Nexus SUCKS. it is close to unusable in north america as a phone.
the ear piece speaker output volume is WAY too low, and the quality is abysmal. the speaker is crap as well. Nobody in their right mind listens to music through it, but it's a drag that you can't make a call in your car and use the speakerphone while the phone sits on the passenger seat.
I say north america because the earpiece was noticeably louder when I used the nexus in europe. the gsm signal strength must have been stronger over there.
reception here in NYC is a JOKE with the nexus. I couldn't make a call in my apartment in MANHATTAN. I mean COME ON tmobile. it's one thing not to have good service in MONTANA, but on MANHATTAN ISLAND?! the business and cultural center of the world?! unacceptable.
Now, the EVO earpiece volume is louder. still not loud enough, but it's louder - usable as a phone. the quality is a tiny bit better, still not good enough.
WHY can't htc or anyone else make a phone that sounds as good as nokias did 15 years ago? including apple, motorola, forget about samsung, lg, etc - they make dryers, not audio equipment.
I don't get it.

complaints about the EVO: so far only one. the power button - it's hard to push cause of the design of the top of the phone, and you have to push it to wakeup the phone, although there's an app that lets you do it with the other buttons.
overarching complaint about all android phones (and the entire phone business):
ALL cdma phones should have an unlocked GSM SIM slot included (be world phones). it is absolutely unacceptably LAME that you can't take your expensive device with you to europe, pop open the back of the phone, stick in a pay as you go sim and be back in business.
now even more than ever, because we use these phones for everything - we need to be able to have our contacts, email, and calendar on our PHONES.

here's my wrap-up:

Nexus as a handheld computer: B
Nexus as a phone or listening device: D

Evo as a handheld computer: A (it would be A+ if it played back all forms of video)
Evo as a phone: C

great write up.. interesting to read.

15 yrs ago.. the phones sound better.. but now they all sound worse? is that right? I see they are just fine.
I might point out one linking thing.. you over time. hint hint.
I am noticing that my ear is not as keen as before.

I agree.. they should give these expensive phone an option to be used on other systems. It is a controlling feature to keep you tide to them. but the is a benefit.. It is harder for someone to use.. if it gets lost.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with the world phone feature, even if I hardly ever go out of the country.

15 years ago phones sounding better, I disagree. back then if I called people from a cell phone people would not want to talk on the phone cause they could get a clear enough signal. people like my mom and friends not into technology.. lol. 15 years later these people will stay on the line with a cell phone.

a better speaker back then maybe, but call quality for sure was worse.

I still don't get peoples issue with the power button. a quick tap and bam the screen comes up. what more do you want? have you ever tried a samsung touch screen phone, how many times do you accidentally turn the phone off a day with one of these.. lol. not speaking of the epic.

Upvote 0
you're right about one thing - that it's harder for people to use a cdma phone if they find it. I suppose the same is true regarding locked gsm phones. but I don't care one bit - I want a cdma phone for the states with the unlocked gsm slot for the rest of the world...
now, regarding your hypothesis about my hearing - nope. I have my hearing tested regularly because I'm a drummer and recording engineer. it's identical to what it was 15, even 20 years ago, with less tinnitus cause I wear plugs now.
and I still have several old nokias - one running on a tmoblie pay-as-you-go sim, and another on cdma which I use occasionally on sprint - they blow away ANY smart phone by a mile. iphone, htc, palm, samsung, motorola - take your pick.
ok maybe I exaggerated when I said 15 years ago, but my gsm nokia is from 1993 - best sounding phone in my drawer full of them.
I suspect that the real problem is twofold - 1. the mucking about that the tech companies are doing with the frequencies and signal transmission. I suspect it's lowering the bandwith over the networks. 2. the devices all have various kinds of built in software compression and junk - it all sounds like shit. sure it probably helps boost the signal, but it chops off consonants, equalizes the signal in ways that makes it harder to understand what's being said, and has a harmonic synthesizing effect on the overall tone of voices.

Upvote 0
ok maybe I exaggerated when I said 15 years ago, but my gsm nokia is from 1993 - best sounding phone in my drawer full of them.

How much of the sound difference is from the CODEC? 1993 was in the early days of GSM. Has CODEC development brought the bitrate down over time? I don't know this...as I haven't researched it yet.

I think they continue to push the envelope of what's acceptable, and redefine what is the minimal offering for sound quality. I think that we are more used to lower quality audio these days.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones