Nexus One Volume Redux

Last Updated:

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, I've read the threads on the problem (or lack of problem) with the low volume on the Nexus One speakers. The threads quickly devolve into a debate about whether the volume is or isn't low, some saying that it is, others saying that it isn't (and suggesting that those who think the volume is low must be listening to the ring or media with the phone's speaker muffled).

The problem is that those of us who are having problems with the volume can't tell whether we are just expecting more volume than others, on the one hand, or have a defective phone, on the other. What's needed is some reference to how loud the speakers should be.

So let me try to get at the problem this way: When I have my Nexus One volume set to maximum (in Settings, confirmed by maxing the volume rocker on the side of the phone) both the ring tone and the alarm clock are less than half the volume of my prior phone, which was a Razr v3, and this is with both phones held away from any obstructions of the speakers. Anyone know if this is normal for a Nexus One?

Advertisement
  2. ChrisFix

ChrisFix Member

I can't say what's normal for the N1, but I can tell you that on mine, the volume is very low (compared to a wide variety of other phones currently in-service or previously used). Like you, with the ring volume set to max, I would say it is about half as loud as my daughters Razr or my Blackjack II. Volume when playing back video or music is also low.

3. halfsjj

halfsjj Member

Agreed! The external volume is a very big disappointment.

4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Speaker phone quality is poor, I have to turn it down because of distortion.

However, Alarms, Ringtones and Notifications are quite loud and surprisingly good quality. I do find that the volume control is quite quiet until I get to the last 2 settings or so. This means that it seems like you get all or nothing.

I use the crowing sound for the alarm clock and that always gives me a right old shock in the morning!

5. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

Compared to my G1, using the same alarm notification, the N1 external speaker sounds a bit lower volume to me but nothing dramatic.

6. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

coming from iphones... the Nexus One is definitely nice and LOUD to me... both earpiece and external speaker...

7. Foo (AZ)

Foo (AZ) Well-Known Member

I find that the stock ring tones are not loud enough for me. I'm currently using the Big Easy ring tone and I probably wouldn't here it if I was in the other room. Maybe. I have to admit keeping it in the case it came with, so that will account for a lot too, but not always. I've never had this problem before on other phones, so I'm thinking it's more phone specific than it is ear specific (me).

My two cents is the external audio is less that desirable. Crank the speaker phone up and the audio becomes unintelligible.

With some of the minor "issues" I've with the phone, I still love it and would buy it again.

8. System6

System6 Well-Known Member

Using a SPL meter the Nexus 1 ranks lowest amongst other phones I have owned out of case, in case, out of pocket, and in pocket. Probably my only real complaint about the handset.... well that and multitouch! ;p

9. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

I found and D/L'ed a T-Mobile ring tone... the basic one...

can listen to it here... T-Mobile Jingle - T-mobile Jingle Free MP3 Ringtone

and D/L it from here (see link to file in 2nd post in that thread): Tmobile four note jingle in Ringtones ~ Wallpapers ~ Games ~ Mods at WirelessAdvisor.com Forums

10. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Maybe it is a problem with the recorded volume of the stock tones.

I've used CDex and Audacity to make mp3 ringtones from CD and they seem OK.

I do agree that turning the volume up on speaker phone when on a call results in horrendous distortion.

11. TNguyen529

TNguyen529 New Member

I have had the phone for about 2 weeks now and have just encountered this volume problem :(

The sound from the speakers was great - for ringtones, notifications, music, etc - easily better than iPhone's.

However, just today, the volume is drastically less!!! Since it seems my phone was fine before, I do have a reference point as to its potential volume. Not sure what happened and if this is the same problem other people are encountering.

12. malzfreund

malzfreund Member

Agreed. Let me add some details. Take your ringtone of choice and load it into Audacity. Compress (Effects --> Compressor) and then increase the gain to the maximum extent possible (Effects --> Normalize). Export (File --> Export) and sync to your N1.

This way nothing should clip...