Nexus One vs iPhone 3GS

Last Updated:

1. dwd3885

dwd3885 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So here's my dilemma.

1. I'm on a family plan with my wife at AT&T. I have an iPhone 3GS, she has a Blackberry (no data). Moving to T-Mobile would save us $30/month and we'd pay less for us both to get data than if we both had data on AT&T. My contract runs out in June, hers next July. This without signing up a contract and using the month-to-month billing Even More Plus plan.

2. I am really liking the looks of the Nexus One. I like the notification system, widgets, background multitasking, oled screen, integration w/ google like Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Voice and maps navigation.

Now, the negative on the Nexus One is that the iPhone is a much superior media player. I listen to podcasts all the time and I know the Nexus One can do it, but it's not a contest in what device plays media better. I looked and all the apps on the iPhone that I need are on the Android. I have a ton of apps, but don't really use a lot of them.

So my thinking was get the Nexus One, be on AT&T Edge until my contract runs out and then go to T-Mobile. Or just pay the ETF and go to Tmobile since we'd be saving a lot with them month-to-month.

I was waiting for the 27th to see what Apple would do if anything to 4.0, but do you think it will ever be like Android? With folders and customization and widgets, etc? The thing is that when they come out with a new iPhone, I don't want to sign or extend a contract, so I wouldn't be getting it, just the OS update.

I was also thinking that I might get the iPad at some point and I'd still be in the iPhone OS if there was something critical app I did need.

What advice do you have for me? What would you do?

Advertisement
  2. Esquire1

Esquire1 Well-Known Member

My advice would be to stop being impatient and wait until news of 4.0 comes out. You have time, a nice phone, a contract.

Don't let consumerism get to you.

3. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member

No I don't believe it will ever be like Android when it comes to that level of customisation. It is for this reason that i am junking my very recently acquired iPhone 3G and going for a Nexus one... on the other hand it is the exact same reason that I recommend the iPhone to nearly everyone.

So very VERY few people really want or need the flexibility of android. Also if they have an iPhone they are highly unlikely to ever ask you a "how do I..." question but if they've got an Android handset they can fiddle which sparks hundreds of Q's.

I fully expect June to see multi-tasking on the 3GS and the iPhone4. I'd wait fella... jailbreak and get some backgrounder+ProSwitcher on the go and have 90% of Android without spending a penny.

4. what29

what29 Well-Known Member

You are in the same boat i was a 3 weeks ago. We are on a att family plan, i had the 3gs she had a samsung something with no data. We have 550 family min, unlimited text and i had the iphone plan. I have since stayed with att, got the N1 and switched off the god forsaken iphone plan. i added unlimited data to my plan, she still has no data and our rate went down to 80 per month plus tax.

If you switch to the N1 you will have no 3g, which where i live is no big deal since we dont have it within an hour in any direction, yes ohio rocks. since the N1 is an "unrecognized device" you dont have to get their smartphone plan and you still can get unlimited data and i have had no issues with my plan so far. true i only get edge for data outside of my home but it is still better than paying 110 per month for a 3g phone that i cant use 3g on. hope this helps

5. dwd3885

so what do you like about the nexus one that made you switch? Or what did you not like about the iPhone? Yea I can use it on edge w/ AT&T and wait until my contract is up in the summer and then go to tmobile for the long run since tmobile is cheaper anyway.

6. what29

what29 Well-Known Member

Ok, you asked so this may be a long read.

I wanted to try the N1 just because i had the iphone for so long, since day one, upgraded to 3g, then 3gs. I knew i could sell it on ebay to recover the cost if i did not like it.

The first day i got it i played with it for about an hour and boxed it up and listed it on ebay. The next day i opened it again to show an employee what it looked like and played with it some more. Within a couple horrs i pulled my ebay listing and listed my 3gs.

i REALLY like the fact that you can customize everything from the screen to the notification to the default home apps. Home++ is the best home app i have ever used. I HATED itunes but i did use my iphone to stream music to my bluetooth cd player everyday, this is one minor flaw in the N1. it is not as seamless. It does not connect automaticall everytime like the iphone did. It does a good job of playing music and is much easier to get music on and off the unit but the media player is a step down.

i love the apps in the android store, every app, except espn streak for cash, i used on my iphone is in android in one shape or another. they all may not be as polished but they get better each day.

I love the widgets, there is a widget for everything from facebook, to twitter to stocks. Those are the difference maker for me. it really brings your phone to life. Problem is if you dont have an automatic task killer they can drain your battery in hours. Just install an autotask killing program so taht it shuts off the programs you choose when your phone sleeps and you will be fine. I am getting 15 hours with normal use, about the same as my iphone.

Lastly, i like the fact that it is so open and i dont HAVE to have the iphone plan to do the same things. saving 20+ per month for the same functions made the decision easier. Sure there are things each does better, and it is not an iPhone killer, but it is a small step up. The next iphone will probably put it back on top, but there will always be another phone around the corner.

if i didnt answer something, just ask

7. dwd3885

Thanks for that response. I still go back and forth. I have never messed with an android before. But from what I've seen, the widgets and notifications make it almost seem worth it alone. I am disaappointed by the lack of really high quality apps though. For instance, MLB.com At Bat app on Android won't have video highlights, and is more dumbed down. iPhone developers have the Mac platform and have always developed high quality (graphically as well) apps. Android's apps don't look as high quality. But maybe doable.

8. what29

what29 Well-Known Member

You are correct in the fact that most are not as polished, but i will say in the 3 weeks i have had the phone, they have already gotten better. I do believe they will catch up to the iphone apps but it may take 3-4 months. Updates for my apps i have installed come out once a week or more it seems. I am more than happy with them and the major ones i use like weather channel, tdameritrade, sportstap, are as good as anything.

Also, i run a small side business rolling softball and baseball bats at www.prorollers.net (shameless plug) and i do a lot of shipping, this phone does some crazy stuff, i can scan the bar code of the shipping lable with my phone, and it will update me when the package status changes, you can also scan items and see what they sell for on ebay or on the web, the application this phone can do are amaizing. Shazam can analyze 10 seconds of a song and tell you the name, artist, year and a link to download it, just by pressing one button and letting it listed to the tv or radio, and this is just the beginning

as you can tell i love my N1 now. i actually find myself using it (read: playing with it) more than i did my iphone just because of all the things it can do.