Nexus One with no Data Plan?

Last Updated:

1. Inger

Inger Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried searching for an answer to this in the forums but I can't find someone who has already asked it.

In any case I'm wondering whether its possible to use a Nexus One without a data plan. I have access to wifi pretty much everywhere I would use my device and thus a data plan really is not worthwhile for the cost.

That being said I know that for other android devices, the very first time they're turned on, the user is required to connect to their Gmail account via data. Would I run into a similar situation with the Nexus One?

Is it possible to use the device from the get go without any data? Do any of the primary apps(besides google maps obviously) absolutely require data to be used?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses

Advertisement
  2. Re4son

Re4son Well-Known Member

You don't need a data plan. I use my Nexus One without a data plan and it works normal. When you start the phone you can skip the gmail part and start using your phone and connect to your wifi connection. To use the market app you need to have your gmail account registered.

3. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

You didn't say where you are located and who your carrier is but you can usually access data without a data plan (at a cost per mb). This will allow you to complete the initial setup.

4. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Most us carriers require a data plan for smartphones. Having an android phone without a data plan is not advised, as android is a very data intensive mobile os. From advertisements in apps, to the constant syncying to gmail, and some apps in general.

5. Inger

Inger Member This Topic's Starter

Is it possible to link the gmail account once you've setup a wifi connection?

I'm using the device in Canada on Fido's network but I currently have a data block setup on my sim card in order to avoid accidental data leakage with my current phone.

6. wankingweiner

wankingweiner Well-Known Member

Any answers to this? Can u link gmail after setting up wifi? I dont have a data plan either and dont plan on getting one