• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S 4g unlock question

Aren't like... the radio bands slightly different for Verizon and Sprint phones? Meaning... you know... it wouldn't work quite right?

That's what I'm assuming. Kind of like how the OG Nexus that was on Tmobile was usable on AT&T, but you only had EDGE. I'm guessing you'd be able to USE the Nexus S on Verizon, but you'd only have 1x speeds. Not 3g, let alone 4g. Sprint is Wi-Max, Verizon being LTE.

Upvote 0
No the phones are 100% compatible with all cdma carriers that I know of.
this does not apply to 4g however. voice and 3g work fine.

you just need to get the esn/meid in the system and configure data settings.

sprint and verizon will absolutely never add an esn/meid into their system.

Upvote 0
Yes you would be able to use it with 3G speed just fine. When you roam now with your phone, you are roaming on other 3G CDMA carriers like verizon. The only thing that you can't do when roaming on 3G is use Sprits apps like TV and Sprint Nav. So if Verizon would not lock you out, which would be hard to do, you could use it on Verizon right out of the box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones