Nexus S 4g unlock questionGeneral

1. dmbfan13

dmbfan13 Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to my question yet, but, would it be possible to unlock the Nexus S 4G to be used on Verizon? I understand you wouldnt get 4G, but would 3G still work considering they're both CDMA.

Just curious!

Advertisement
    :
  2. StarMenace

StarMenace Well-Known Member

I would assume that it would be unlocked out of the box if it's a Nexus phone unless Google changed that now.
  3. dmbfan13

dmbfan13 Well-Known Member

That is true!! So would it be possible to switch to a Verizon number?
  4. bucketheadmn

bucketheadmn Well-Known Member

Chances are not very good. Unlike GSM where you can just plug in a SIM card, on CDMA you need to activate by the ESN number. I highly doubt that Verizon will allow a Nexus to be activated on their network - from my understanding you can not do it with any other phones now, so why the Nexus S 4G?
  5. CrazyTechnoBoy

CrazyTechnoBoy Well-Known Member

I think it would be allowed. Because since the Evo is also sold as unlocked, why would it be limited to only some CDMA carriers? But don't take my word for it, I may be wrong.
  6. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Aren't like... the radio bands slightly different for Verizon and Sprint phones? Meaning... you know... it wouldn't work quite right?

That's what I'm assuming. Kind of like how the OG Nexus that was on Tmobile was usable on AT&T, but you only had EDGE. I'm guessing you'd be able to USE the Nexus S on Verizon, but you'd only have 1x speeds. Not 3g, let alone 4g. Sprint is Wi-Max, Verizon being LTE.
  7. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

No the phones are 100% compatible with all cdma carriers that I know of.
    this does not apply to 4g however. voice and 3g work fine.

you just need to get the esn/meid in the system and configure data settings.

sprint and verizon will absolutely never add an esn/meid into their system.
  8. Yes you would be able to use it with 3G speed just fine. When you roam now with your phone, you are roaming on other 3G CDMA carriers like verizon. The only thing that you can't do when roaming on 3G is use Sprits apps like TV and Sprint Nav. So if Verizon would not lock you out, which would be hard to do, you could use it on Verizon right out of the box.
  9. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

its possible, as long as you dont mind esn swapping which blurs a bit of a legality line
  10. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

You should not need to ESN swap.
    I have no idea why cdma providers are such jerks with their phone activations. this is why its a stupid mostly american technology. I couldn't even activate my paid for evo on virgin mobile and its 100% sprint.
  11. thangcoo

thangcoo New Member

Did you manage to unlock the phone and use it with Verizon?
  12. RENORHYMES

RENORHYMES New Member

Is it true that the Nexus 4g is unlocked by factory?? Does it come like that??? My Nexus 4g was from Canada and it has a sim unlike the Sprint one that doesn't!!! well if anyone could answer my question i would appreciate it! :)
    PS: want to unlock it for T-Mobile or AT&T!!!
  13. RENORHYMES

RENORHYMES New Member

:confused:Is it true that the Nexus 4g is unlocked by factory?? Does it come like that??? My Nexus 4g was from Canada and it has a sim unlike the Sprint one that doesn't!!! well if anyone could answer my question i would appreciate it! :)
    PS: want to unlock it for T-Mobile or AT&T!!!