• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus S - Does battery ever fully charge?

meso100

Jan 21, 2010
My Nexus is just over a day old and the last two full charges only ever get the battery to 95% but the phone says CHARGED. If I unplug the charger it shows 95% and plug back in it says CHARGING for a moment then CHARGED again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

This should answer all of your problems with the battery drain. Little did you know that your phone is doing it on purpose. It typically seems like i never see it get to 100% but it's only because it's doing it to help the life of the battery.

Your Battery Gauge Is Lying To You: Everything You Need To Know About Bump Charging And Inconsistent Battery Drain | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

And also

[BUG] Full Charge Oddity, Charge to 100%, Unplug to 97% - xda-developers

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
There is definitely something wrong.

I'm on android 2.3.4 although the same bug was also present in 2.3.3

Try the option "standby" under menu apps > development, and then see how it goes...;)

If you want your screen locked to leave your Nexus S unattended, you have to use the screen off button before the charge reaches 95%. If you unlock the screen at a higher charge percentage, charging will stop when you lock it again. Bottom line: this bug has to do with the screen being on or off if the charge level reaches 95%. If you leave the screen on (locked or not) it does charge the battery fully.

I reported this bug at http://www.nexusshelp.com via the twitter option (although the chat now also works i see). You will land at GalaxySsupport from Samsung but they also support The Nexus S.

Maybe if more people report it at Samsung it might be resolved in the next Android update. Choose the "chat live" cloud icon on the coloured dial.
I found the Nexus S support page via http://www.google.com/nexus which is the official page for the Nexus S.

Upvote 0
There is definitely something wrong.
Yes this is an obvious issue and there is no reason what-so-ever to shut off charging at 96%. Anything anyone says about extending battery life doesn't know s#!T about li-ion technology.
I'm on android 2.3.4 although the same bug was also present in 2.3.3
Try the option "standby" under menu apps > development, and then see how it goes...;)
I think you mean "keep awake" setting as there is no standby option. And also this old "trick" has been proven to not work...a few minutes after unplugging the charger, the phone will drop back to 96% even if unused. The only way to fully charge the battery is to remove it from the phone and use a seperate charging stand. That will charge it fully to 100% and you can then use it in your phone.

Upvote 0
The definite difference i see is that it charges to 100% with the i guess it is "keep awake" option on your Nexus S. Mine is set to Dutch language.

That keeps the screen on during charging

Without that option on, the screen goes off as the timeout setting is set. It will then probably be off most of the time when the charge level reaches 95% (unless you are using it) and then it will stop charging.

I don't have the same issue that after a full (until 100% charge) the charge drops real fast (a couple of percent) after unplugging like you have. Maybe that is because i found out the issue real early after I started using the phone and started using the workaround i just mentioned.

I would advice people to try the workaround, and if they have the same issue as you, that it is resolved after a couple of really full charges.

Upvote 0
The definite difference i see is that it charges to 100% with the i guess it is "keep awake" option on your Nexus S. Mine is set to Dutch language.
Maybe the language setting has something to do with it working or not. I have mine set to the default US English settings and this trick definitely does not work. I've also tried another trick about enabling tethering while charging and that doesn't even get to 100% on my phone, it stops at 96%.

Upvote 0
Maybe the language setting has something to do with it working or not. I have mine set to the default US English settings and this trick definitely does not work.

That could also have to do with the fact that the Nexus S that is sold in US (probably the same one as in Canada, being the i9020, with super amoled screen) is different from the one that is sold in some European countries (the i9023, with the ips lcd screen). I wouldn't have expected that there would be a difference in that aspect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones