Nexus S - Need ROOT and Video Player

1. swbca21

swbca21 Active Member

The Nexus S has a crappy video player that can play some but not all video formats that my Samsung Vibrant can play with its built-in Video Player. Nexus S doesn't even have a Video player on the apps list.

I have the Titanium Backup files for the Vibrant Video player, but its not a self installing package and Titanium Backup won't run without Root.

The Vibrant video player lets you adjust the aspect ratio of videos on the fly. I have not seen a simple clean Video player on Market that can do that.

What I really want is to Root the Nexus as I did the Vibrant. Then I can setup the phone the way I want.

One-Click-Lag-Fix was a snap for rooting the Vibrant. HOW CAN I ROOT THE NEXUS S ?

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Have someone from Vibrant/ Galaxy S extract the apk file and send it to you.
  3. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Well-Known Member

You can try this. Go to appbrain and download this program...

File Manager - Android app on AppBrain

Its free. Its a file manager that has a backup apps function in it. You can backup the apk, then copy it to your Nexus S.

That being said, a few things come to mind...

1. If the Nexus S doesn't have root and a way of recovering your phone, like Clock
    Work, You might want to hold off on messing with your phone.

1b.The rooting part has been solved... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9866675

2. I'm not sure if you need root to use the backup function of File manager, I don't think you do.

2b. Also solved if the program needs root.
  4. tjrchka

tjrchka New Member

Did you get the player working? I'd also like the alarm clock app.

I have a complete backup of a Vibrant, but can't install the apps from it.

Should I be copying Odex files?

Need to be rooted?

(Newish at this)
  5. swbca21

swbca21 Active Member

My conclusion, right or wrong is that system applications cannot be backed up from one phone and restored to another. The leading root backup programs, Titanium and My Backup Pro have no ability to create a backup of a system application as an installable application for installation somewhere else. Maybe I could do it file-by-file but I do not how many files there are or where they are. Or if it would run if I did it.

I do have my Nexus S rooted though, but still looking for a video player that is not all gooked up with unwanted features.