• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S on At&t

Love my Nexus One on AT&T.. but the Samsung Nexus S is well.. really not newish in a sense (plus with the bugs it has been having and samsung is dead last for updates for their phones)..

I am looking at the Atrix.. that phone is a beast. Odds are I will still keep my N1 since it is still a awesome phone (maybe my GF will use it)..or sell it for a good chuck of change.

Upvote 0
Going to be a tough choice:

Atrix-Awesome hardware specs, born from Motorola (really liked there android build quality), stupid motoblur

Nexus S-On the way out hardware, was born from Samsung (take that as you will), beautiful vanilla android.
Yes, I'm reading up on the Atrix, Bell in Canada will get it and being all of the big carriers use the same frequencies for smartphones, no hassel there.

I think the debate is Software (pure android) vs Hardware (latest specs out). It's a tough call, I wish both phones would *merge*...makes life much easier to choose, lol.

Upvote 0
Now what was the point of making two Nexus S phones. They are making the same mistake they made with the Nexus One. They should have made it a pentaband 3G phone from the start so it would be a true world phone. T-Mobile could still benefit from an exclusivity agreement because most people would subscribe to their service to avoid paying full retail price for the phone.

Upvote 0
Finallly! They better have some sort of agreement up here in Canada!!! Else I'd be PO :mad:

Now what was the point of making two Nexus S phones. They are making the same mistake they made with the Nexus One. They should have made it a pentaband 3G phone from the start so it would be a true world phone. T-Mobile could still benefit from an exclusivity agreement because most people would subscribe to their service to avoid paying full retail price for the phone.
I totally agree with you. I don't know WHY Google only did a triband with the 3G for the NS. I really did thought that the NS wouldn't suffer the 'mistake' that the N1 did. I guess it's not really a 'mistake' :mad: Making a pentaband would have been a better at cost reduction when manufacturing the phone.

Upvote 0
If I actually do go down the Nexus S path the tougher choice will be whether I should get it on ATT or switch over to T-Mobile.

Att has done nothing but pissed me off lately. Besides never being able to get service in my apartment (while friends with all other major carries do) I have been getting dropped calls like crazy lately. I live in NY with coverage everywhere. The latest was on a 20 minutes drive home with a call dropping out 3 times, including once in front a major At&t corporate site!

The only thing that keeps me with them is that I have a decent plan with unlimited text/data and tons of minutes and I no longer on contract with Att.

Can anyone tell me if I can get a Nexus S with TMobile off contract?? How much do the contracts go for? Best buys website only lets me get the phone with a 2 year contract.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for the NS on att for awhile but the more i think about it... i'll probably just stick w/ the N1. I really like the docking options (car & desk) and i use both of them on a regular basis. Desk dock i use every night when i go to bed... It's really an awesome dock.

I want the new tech but i've grown so used to this trusty old bastard that i'm having a hard time even considering a switch. Maybe i'll just get a Xoom instead of buying a phone i don't need.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for the NS on att for awhile but the more i think about it... i'll probably just stick w/ the N1. I really like the docking options (car & desk) and i use both of them on a regular basis. Desk dock i use every night when i go to bed... It's really an awesome dock.

I want the new tech but i've grown so used to this trusty old bastard that i'm having a hard time even considering a switch. Maybe i'll just get a Xoom instead of buying a phone i don't need.

Clutchy right now I am planning the same thing, wifi xoom tethered to the N1. The only thing that is bothering me is that At&t really blows goats lately and if I make the switch to Tmo it will be to the NS right now.

Upvote 0
I hope the att version gets announced soon, cause the atrix is looking mighty tempting. Being that this will be my first android phone, I'd rather have a phone that doesn't have any restrictions so I can fully experience and play with the android os.

Idk guys, I need your help to decide, lol.

Eh, just root the Atrix and enable side loading of apps and uninstall AT&T's crap. The boot-loader is encrypted, but they will break that just like they did on the Droid X. Unlocking the boot-loader voids the warranty on the Nexus S.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones