• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S stuck in boot animation screen

Hi all,

I am new to rooting and mods, so please excuse me if I don't know what I'm talking about.

So, back in January I rooted my phone and installed CyanogenMod on my Nexus S. I flashed an unofficial version of ICS that I found on the internet and I got it to work fine (although it was very laggy). Now that Google is rolling out the Jelly Bean OTA, I wanted to get that. But, from what I've read, you need to be on the stock ROM. So, I successfully unrooted it and got it back to the original version. Then, I tried updating it to the official ICS OTA through the "About Phone" section in settings. But, now, my Nexus is just stuck on the boot animation screen (ICS version).

If I press the Volume Up + Power buttons, it goes into Fastboot Mode and there are four options: Reboot Bootloader, Reboot, Recovery, Power Off. It also says it's in a "Locked" state. Does that mean it's not rooted anymore?

I clicked Recovery and it showed the dead Android with a white exclamation mark in a red triangle. On that screen, I clicked the Volume Up + Power buttons and it goes into "Android system recovery <3e>". On that screen, there are only 4 options: reboot system now, apply update from /sdcard, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition. I have tried wiping data and cache but it does nothing. There's nothing to apply on the internal SD card.

I'm not sure what to do now. When I plug in my Nexus into my computer, it does not show up as a USB drive so I can't put any files onto it. Any ideas on what to do? I have no idea what I"m doing. Thanks for the help!

In recovery mode, you can use ADB to push files to your internal storage over USB. Download the latest Full ROM version for your device (there's a list of download links in this thread), and use ADB to push it to your phone.

Use the recovery mode to wipe your data and cache partitions, and then install the update. Once you've confirmed that it installed correctly, you can use one of the Incremental ICS ROMs to upgrade to the latest version.

If that doesn't work, your best option will be to find a Fastboot ROM for your model and use Fastboot to flash it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones