• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S upgrade

Hello;

I got a Nexus from Google last month. I've truly amazed with it and I've 90% replaced my Ipod with it. (was using HTC Hero and Ipod).

I love the camera and take a ton of photos and videos with it. I'm on sprint and I leave Skype running. I use gmail, and regular mail frequently. I use Facebook for business and am a fairly heavy user from my phone. I get a lot of notifications, push and text.

I don't want to complain, I think this phone is amazing; but if a family member is going to upgrade their phone and I have the chance to get a new phone; here are my to main issues;

1. Battery life; I know the things I am doing are the reason the battery life is horrible, but are there any comparable phones with larger capacity batteries?

2. Memory; I think the RAM or the phones equivalent, not sure if that is NVRAM or what, but is being used up frequently. It tends to slow down when I am toggling several fairly intensive applications, particularly slow is the photo gallery and scrolling though photos. (maybe this is the read speed from it's built in card?)

I searched and I don't think there is anything currently more advanced than the Nexus, but I thought I would ask if there is or anything coming soon. I love the google integration and wouldn't want a phone without it.

Thanks!
Jamie

Hey Jamie,

I just recently got a Nexus S, myself (I also have a Galaxy S). The camera is actually one thing I'm disappointed with, when compared to the Galaxy's camera. Don't get wrong, it takes great pictures, but the default UI is pretty awful (The view window is only half the screen? What's up with that?) and there's no "zoom" or auto-focus. I know digital zoom really isn't zoom, but still. ;) I've remedied the ugly UI by just installing another camera app (Camera 360). BTW, if anyone has other camera app suggestions, I'm all ears.

As for battery, I haven't had any issues. It's on par, if not better, than the Galaxy, but that all depends on what applications you're using, screen brightness settings and a whole host of other things. Just don't install any task killers. They do more harm than good.

As for the photo gallery, how many photos do you have in your phone? I used to find that the Galaxy S gallery was slow to load before I patched it with Voodoo lag fix. I don't have as many photos on my Nexus S, just yet, to truly test out the speed of the gallery, but so far it's pretty speedy. If you have a ton of photos that may affect how fast photos load up in the gallery.

There are technically other more advanced phones out now, i.e. SGSII and the T-Mobile G2X. The T-Mobile G2X specs are better than the Nexus S, and even though it also has vanilla Android it probably won't get Ice Cream Sandwich at the same time as the Nexus S. It sounds like you really like the direct Google tether with your Nexus S, so if you're looking for a new, more advanced, phone I would wait for the Nexus Prime, which is being manufactured by Samsung.

Just hold on to your Nexus S for a little longer. It'll be worth the wait. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones