• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S where are you?!

wtfj1n

Nov 16, 2010
Any idea when the Nexus S will be hitting the shelves?? Im dieing to get my hands on one!! Leaked info said it should have been out on 11/14 but that boat already set sailed. Generally when a newer model comes out will it be priced as the same as its predecssor or will it cost more?

I don't believe it will come out this month, or next month (December). Doing so will only piss off all the other Android handset makers and carrier partners who are counting the holiday season to clear off inventories.

I do expect we will see something on this date --- January 5, 2011. This is one year on the date the Nexus One was released.

Upvote 0
I don't believe it will come out this month, or next month (December). Doing so will only piss off all the other Android handset makers and carrier partners who are counting the holiday season to clear off inventories.

I do expect we will see something on this date --- January 5, 2011. This is one year on the date the Nexus One was released.

Pissed off? Lol, manufacturers and carriers are already competing against each other everyday and release new Android phones almost every 2 weeks. Who the hell cares if they get pissed off because they will eventually have a better phone couple of months later.

Oh, if Google still sticks to this ideology, the Nexus phone will be a developer phone. Yes, non-developers can get it, but the average consumer will have no freaking clue about the phone unless they visit Best Buy or wherever this is going to be sold at.

Upvote 0
Pissed off? Lol, manufacturers and carriers are already competing against each other everyday and release new Android phones almost every 2 weeks. Who the hell cares if they get pissed off because they will eventually have a better phone couple of months later.

Oh, if Google still sticks to this ideology, the Nexus phone will be a developer phone. Yes, non-developers can get it, but the average consumer will have no freaking clue about the phone unless they visit Best Buy or wherever this is going to be sold at.

Why would the average consumer be stumped by this fone??..Would it be hard for me to understand how this fone works or will it just be a pain in the ass to mod/root etc..Im not looking into doing anything tooo crazie to the fone in that aspect just want to use some handy apps...Gosh I really dont want the iphone to be my next fone but i also dont wanna wait so damn long!!!...(note to self) hang in there buddy you can do it...dont become an apple slave :eek:(note to self)...

Upvote 0
The Nexus S, just like the Nexus One - will be such a small percentage of overall Android handset sales that it won't matter when they release. So frankly, the sooner the better!

Based on Eric Scmidt's comment at the Web 2.0 summit, about Gingerbread coming in the next few weeks... (see video, around 2:17-2:20... Nexus S teaser by Eric Schmidt now available on video -- Engadget)

Upvote 0
The Nexus S, just like the Nexus One - will be such a small percentage of overall Android handset sales that it won't matter when they release. So frankly, the sooner the better!

Based on Eric Scmidt's comment at the Web 2.0 summit, about Gingerbread coming in the next few weeks... (see video, around 2:17-2:20... Nexus S teaser by Eric Schmidt now available on video -- Engadget)

I doubt that the Nexus S will only be holding a small percentage of the Android handsets. It will have the newest OS and updates straight from Google, Samsung Branded, potentially dual core, sAMOLED screen, and a few other nifty features, no reason this bad girl wont sell like hot cakes! It sure has got me interested enough to hold off from buying a much needed new fone for the time being. Heres to wishingggggggg

Upvote 0
selling it at best buy infers that google learned its lesson from the n1. selling over the internet isn't viable yet on a mass scale. the sgs phones are arguably one of the worst build quality phones released recently and they are a huge sales success (dwarfed the sales of arguably best build quality phone, the n1) because of the marketing samsung threw behind it. google wanted the n1 to be a big seller, just didn't read the market right as far as the average consumer's willingness to buy a rather high priced phone without seeing or touching it. i think they are trying to fix that with the ns.

the android world has been somewhat stagnant technology wise for almost a year. the apps have come a long way and android has gained a ton of market share. however, since the n1's release, there hasn't been a significant jump forward in processing power. if the ns has a dual core processor, it would provide a similar jump forward to what the n1 did a year ago. allowing more sophisticated apps and overall speed advances that would significantly enhance the user experience. and, if the ns sells like the sgs phones, then android will gain a competitive edge over blackberry and apple, which is the ultimate goal.

Upvote 0
selling it at best buy infers that google learned its lesson from the n1. selling over the internet isn't viable yet on a mass scale. the sgs phones are arguably one of the worst build quality phones released recently and they are a huge sales success (dwarfed the sales of arguably best build quality phone, the n1) because of the marketing samsung threw behind it. google wanted the n1 to be a big seller, just didn't read the market right as far as the average consumer's willingness to buy a rather high priced phone without seeing or touching it. i think they are trying to fix that with the ns.

The US is also a somewhat lopsided market. The consumers seem to be more oriented towards the carrier than the hardware maker. Very few purchase unlocked, contract-free phones, instead opting for the initially cheaper option ending up with a fierce carrier lock-in.

Nokia, one of the worlds biggest, is not particularly big in the US.

Anyhoo, my next phone will be the Nexus S. Paid in full up-front, unlocked, unbranded, contract-free and OS updates directly from Google.

Upvote 0
The US is also a somewhat lopsided market. The consumers seem to be more oriented towards the carrier than the hardware maker. Very few purchase unlocked, contract-free phones, instead opting for the initially cheaper option ending up with a fierce carrier lock-in.

Nokia, one of the worlds biggest, is not particularly big in the US.

we are more carrier oriented. however, it is not our choice. i have a nexus one on tmobile and only tmobile will allow my n1 to get 3g speeds. if i go on at&t's network with my phone, all i get is 2g. it won't work at all on verizon's network and i don't think it will work on sprint (not sure). so we can't buy a phone and shop carriers. :mad: i'm guessing europe isn't like that.

also, i've been wondering about nokia. it used to be huge here in the US and i had the gull-wing style nokia years ago. had it forever and loved the phone. but, around the time android came out, it started to decline. the reports i read online say it is still the biggest cell phone maker in the world. however, i don't know of a single high end nokia phone for sale by any US carrier anymore. do they just not release them here, but do everywhere else in the world? because nokia might as well be on the side of a milk carton here.

Upvote 0
Nokia got left behind in the transition to (capacitive) touchscreen phones. It's too bad too because the N8 has pentaband 3G: AT&T, T-mobile, Europe, Asia you name it. And a really good camera. And free voice guided offline GPS navigation.

They basically gave all their profits to Apple and they're giving up serious market share to Android.

We do need more choices in unlocked and unbranded smartphones.

Upvote 0
Everyone used to have a Nokia way back in the days when they were affordable, than they started to make phones that costed an arm and an leg thats why the got left behind in the dust. They are unwilling to give up their pride to switch to a different OS but instead letting their company wither away along with their Symbian OS.

Upvote 0
so we can't buy a phone and shop carriers. :mad: i'm guessing europe isn't like that.

Heh. I bought my i5700 with a contract, because that was the cheapest option. $67 up front, $10 monthly. So I'm locked to a 12 month contract, because that's the legal limit here.

But the phone came unlocked and crapware-free right out of the box. If it had been locked, then I could just have entered my IMEI number on the carrier's home page, and received the unlock code for free, right then and there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones