Nexus UK mobile connection speed

Last Updated:

1. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering if anybody in the UK has managed to get their Nexus connected to an H-band mobile network signal?

Just tried the same location with my OH's Hero (we are both on Vodafone) and while she is able to connect to H-band (HSPDA I presume or similar), I am only able to get 3G.

Is this the same kind of issue experienced by users in the US?

Having come from a Hero myself, I am a bit gutted that my Nexus (which I love) is somehow slower.

Advertisement
  2. saquib

saquib Member

Hi

The H symbol is a HTC Sense UI thing. On vanilla Android 3g is displayed only although you will be connected at 'H' speeds.

3. daffyduck

Okay, so that seems a logical explanation but it does not explain the difference in speeds tested using Speed Test app off the Market:

Hero = 1653 kbps download
    Nexus = 430 kbps download

The only difference in the detail reported by the app, is that the Nexus was connected to a Cell network and the Hero to a Utms network?!?

Any ideas? :confused:

4. markouk

markouk Well-Known Member

Just done a quick test on mine and it picks up a Utms in Derry.

It was 527 kbps with only 1 - 0 bars signal. Not too great where I am for 3G.
    I have no other device to compare.

Okay, tried again with 3 bars 3G signal and got 1229 kbps down and 360 kbps up.
    That's decent for me.

5. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

wouldn't know how to tell the difference between a 'H' signal and a '3G' signal. My N1 seems very fast when connected to my mobile network (vodafone). There's a 3g symbol next to the signal indicator so I'm assuming this means I'm connected to 3G and not H Band.

How do I know if I can connect to H Band?

6. daffyduck

Checked the Nexus manual and it can connect to H-band, it's just that I yet to witness significant mobile speeds.

I will be off into Winchester today, where I know I used to be able to connect to H on my Hero & post speed results later.

7. cxm

cxm Active Member

There is a status menu in the "about phone" settings menu that should tell you what network you are connected to - can't say for sure if it will tell you if it is hsdpa as I can only get edge where I live

8. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

winchester - just down the road from me. and I used to live in Fair Oak (near Eastleigh).

9. daffyduck

Ha, small world isn't it.

Bit happier now as on the way back from Romsey, I did a speed test approaching Winchester:

Download - 1758 kbps
    Upload - 819 kbps on a cell network

Still awaiting the elusive HSPDA network......