NexusOne/CyanogenMod for Droid successfully built from source

Last Updated:

1. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So over at that other site, there is a hot thread about this new ROM built from source specifically for the Droid (as opposed to a ROM ported from another phone). Supposedly, this is the holy grail of ROM cooking?

Anybody tried this one out? The dev says he's already working on an Android 2.1r2 build for the Droid.

Advertisement
  2. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member

No but keep us informed. I am intrigued now.

3. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I tried it. It is still a work in progress. I would suggest that you wait until it is more refined.

4. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

It might be worth it for some people to try, but since it appears to still be plagued with the same bugs as the other ROMs, I personally don't see the benefit. I will stick with the ROM I am using now until 2.1 is officially released and people can start working on fully operational ROMs.

5. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

i guess this is updated to work better... anyone try it?

6. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

I've been running it since the first beta and it has definitely improved, and works great. Launcher2 still needs improvement but he put launcher in there for people who want a seemless experience. V1.0 is built from the Droid 2.1 kernel so it's a little more optimized, and doesn't even need the OCing, where the betas did to get rid of some lag with launcher2. He's working on an OC kernel, but can't check up because alldroid is finally changing, after months of talk about it.
    Live wallpapers work, haven't tried them with the 2.0.1 launcher but you still will get reboots ocasionally with launcher2. Keyboard backlight, and unlocking when opening keyboard need to be fixed, but it'll happen, koush knows what he's doing.

His recovery image, clockwork recovery, is different from SPrecovery. It's from official nandroid source, so it makes fastboot compatible .imgs (droid doesn't use) but has the advantage of working on many android phones. The point being, backups made on one aren't compatible with the other, vice versa, so your SPrecovery backups won't work with it.

Any other specific questions I can answer. Oh yeah, he incorporated code from people over at AOSP, one very cool part, 360

7. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting but the different recovery makes me hesitant. Nandroid recovery has been the common factor in all the ROMS I flashed and knowing that I can easily return to previous ROM gives me a sense of security.

8. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

I understand the hesitation, but if it makes you feel more at ease, you can reflash SPrecovery at any time, even if it doesn't boot up using adb and restore the old .tars/.imgs. The whole thing is that, Sir Psycho said it himself, is that his recovery is droid specific and works great, but is different from the whole android modding community. Koush programs on several devices so needs the compatability, but we'll see what direction they both go.

9. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed response. I may take the plunge. It might be a good thing the SB is Droid specific. Who knows what I might try flashing when I get bored. Next thing I know in a flashing frenzy, my Droid might turn into an iPhone :eek:

10. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

It might be something I try over the weekend when I have some free time on my hands. I suppose that this will become one of those phases that I go through with my phone, trying out a yanogen mod and then reinstalling SPRecovery to back it up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk