NFC for the rezoundGeneral

1. jnoone

jnoone Well-Known Member

Since the NFC chip for the nexus is in the battery, is it possible we could get NFC for the rezound, or is there more to it?

Advertisement
    :
  2. skater57

skater57 Well-Known Member

I was thinking this exact thing that's the one thing hardware wise the rezound missing
  3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

4. zazan

zazan Well-Known Member

One thing that surprises me is that with very little effort htc could have and still could turn this phone into a total killer piece of hardware. It is so good already that a couple of after-market items would send it over the top. Simple things like an 1800 battery and NFC for example that actually are easy to implement, or so it appears.
  5. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

I would REALLY like to hear from the experts on the possibilities of retrofitting NFC capability to phones like the Rezound. I'm 99% certain it's not possible, but with the NFC being in the battery, it sure does sound easy for those not knowledgeable.
  6. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

I believe that the battery only has an NFC antenna in it. Not sure if that is the same thing as the actual chip. Also even if you could get that into the rezound you still have to have software to support it.

from this article

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Teardown - iFixit
  7. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

in fact hover over the pics in step 5 of that link. It is infact an NFC antenna only
    Harry2 likes this.
  8. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

I remeber reading awhile back that they're working on putting the NFC chip in sim cards, which would make sense since you'd always keep your sim card. It'd be kinda like moving your credit card from one wallet to another.

Since the phone checks the sim to make sure it's a valid phone, I'd assume that building the NFC capability into the chip would work ok. And they could still put an NFC antenna in the battery as well. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Thing is it's the one thing I don't want. I'm not that familiar with how NFC works, but if someone gets ahold of your phone, couldn't they start making purchases with it? Does the retailer have you sign a receipt like they do with a credit card? If not, how do you prove that you didn't make the purchase? Is it possible to capture the data from the NFC chip while transmitting, like they can with any wireless equipment? Stuff like that is why I'm not all jazzed on having NFC on my phone.
  9. Colchicine

Simply Google NFC and you'll find videos demonstrating it. Most of the above is unfounded since you have to type in a password code before the purchase can be confirmed.

Also keep in mind that making purchases is only practicality to using NFC. I personally am not very interested in it, but would love to easily scan items to get more info.
  10. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

I didn't know that about typing in a password, but I think it'd be faster to just sign your name.

On the scanning items, are you talking about scanning the QR codes to find out info? Because there are numerous apps for doing that, that give you product info, pricing, and were to buy.
  11. Colchicine

Srly, go look up some videos. NFC does it quicker than Google Goggles.