NFC not working am I doing something wrong?Support

Last Updated:

1. bword

bword Well-Known Member

I tried using the NFC with a buddy's sprint s3 and another buddy's Skyrocket. Neither worked and I was wondering how exactly you are supposed to do this. I have a extended battery and tried touching the phones with the back piece off and it didn't work. I'am currently running the Sky ICS 4.2F6 R2 rom

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

When you say it didn't work, were you able to get the phones to recognize each other? Check settings>Wireless & network>more and make sure NFC is checked and android beam is enabled.
  3. bword

bword Well-Known Member

No I was not able to get them to be recognized and yes it was enabled.
  4. lunatic59

It might have something to do with an extended battery. Have you tried it with the stock battery?
  5. bword

bword Well-Known Member

Nope but I will tomorrow I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with it.
  6. lunatic59

Just so you know, I've tried Android Beam a couple of times (rooted SGH-i777) with my buddy's S3 and the phones recognize each other, but we couldn't get anything to transfer.
  7. bword

bword Well-Known Member

Really damn...well its not a big deal. I just went a nutty finding out theres a new thing to play with on our phones lol.
  8. lunatic59

Don't get me wrong ... I haven't given up getting it working, I just haven't had any time lately with an S3 to tinker. If you can get it going, that'd be great. :D
  9. bword

bword Well-Known Member

Welp seems I lost my stock battery and am stuck with this huge one lol. I was going to buy a Sedio when I had the cash but im sure that wont work with NFC either. Oh well :rolleyes:
  10. gigshot

gigshot New Member

I don't think your issue is the battery, it's the modified back cover. You need the original cover because it contains an antenna booster.

Update: I may be wrong. It seems that the original Samsung battery has the words "Near Field Communication" printed on it, so you probably need the original battery and quite possibly also the original cover.
  11. simplybest

simplybest New Member

Hi, it looks as if the extended battery you are using is the reason why the NFC doesn't work. The battery used in a Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100P has the NFC antenna built into the battery so a normal battery, or probably an extended life battery doesn't have this antenna built in. I had this problem when I used a standard battery not realising that the battery could be a problem. There are two really small contacts(hardly visible) on the extreme ends at the top of the NFC battery that enable this to be used as the NFC antenna. This is probably the same with the Samsung Galaxy S3. I tried everywhere to get an NFC enabled battery in the UK without much success and eventually got one from a supplier in France. I am not sure if they do an extended version battery but I don't think the back is the problem as long as it doesn't have a metal plate. I used an case with an aluminium back and this also caused the NFC to stop working. Hope this answers your problem. :)