• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

zetroc

Android Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2010
I had read somewhere on this thread that someone was planning on getting NFC tags and programming them so they could use their GNex with them. One example this user provided was to create like an alarm tag so that at night before going to bed he could touch his phone to the tag and an alarm was automatically set.

How doable is all of this? And if I wanted to do this and play with NFC tags to use with my phone, how could I? Is there some sort of documentation people can point me to so that I could learn how to program tags? Is there hardware I need? Where can I purchase this hardware- and the tags for that matter?

I think this would be something cool to try out, and play with. Maybe even show off to friends (insert iconic my Android is better than your iPhone because... statement).

Thanks for the help, folks!

PS: Ironic that I am putting this much time into preparing for a phone that has more mystery surrounding it than the Loch Ness monster... haha... shame...

This simple thread finally got me off my butt to play with NFC more.

I had two tags from a beta test which didn't work out for me (I should send those back) and bought NFC Tag Manager. Pretty easy to program the tags even though creating the tasks were a little confusing (had no idea what task 1 vs. task 2 meant).

I can now easily configure my phone depending on whether I am at work or at home. I ordered more tags and can think of some interesting uses for them.

I predict Apple includes NFC in their next iPhone and we get to listen to how innovative it is while they ignore that the Nexus S had NFC last year. :D

Upvote 0
This simple thread finally got me off my butt to play with NFC more.

I had two tags from a beta test which didn't work out for me (I should send those back) and bought NFC Tag Manager. Pretty easy to program the tags even though creating the tasks were a little confusing (had no idea what task 1 vs. task 2 meant).

I can now easily configure my phone depending on whether I am at work or at home. I ordered more tags and can think of some interesting uses for them.

I predict Apple includes NFC in their next iPhone and we get to listen to how innovative it is while they ignore that the Nexus S had NFC last year. :D

lol. True, but at least more people will be using it and therefore we'll have more uses for it.

When you program one of the tags, does only that phone recognize it, or does it actually program data into the tag where other phones can read it? If so, is it read only once you write to it?

Upvote 0
lol. True, but at least more people will be using it and therefore we'll have more uses for it.

When you program one of the tags, does only that phone recognize it, or does it actually program data into the tag where other phones can read it? If so, is it read only once you write to it?

Hi! NFC tags made with some of the apps for writing tags, will only work with tho phone which wrote the tag.
NFC task launcher is in my opinion by far the best app, for playing with tags AND
the tags will work on all phones, that have the app installed.
Full version of the app can read/write, free version only reads tags. :)

Best regards!

Store owner
Lasse Laursen
Info@nfczone.net
NFCZone.net, Everything in NFC

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones