NFL Mobile updated will charge for games...General

Last Updated:

1. Xm4n

Xm4n Member This Topic's Starter

NFL Mobile updated will charge for games... I just updated my nfl mobile app and if you read the update its says we now have to pay for vcast in order to see live games.. I don't know about you guys but I remember them saying we could see them for free when they announced the exclusive deal.. Sucks just wanted to give a heads up..

Advertisement
    bama4life2000 likes this.
  2. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

Thi$ does not $urpri$e me. And yes, it $uck$!!!

3. today

today Well-Known Member

I have called Verizon twice since I "upgraded" to the new version and have been told that this season will be free for everyone who installed the original app before July 22. I sure hope it's true.

heyeaglefn, Skipdawg and JonBlue3 like this.
  4. gs13

gs13 Well-Known Member

5. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Well that just blows. Was looking forward to Thursday night games on my phone. Not to mention any preseason games they air. I guess we will see for sure in the coming weeks though. HOF game is this weekend.... Who Dey!!

6. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Crappy, now I have to watch the games on the PC at work. I was looking forward to the mobility part of it and being able to take it into the "office" (read:bathroom) and watching while doing "paperwork" (read:crapping)....

7. GoinOnTilt

GoinOnTilt Well-Known Member

Don't forget it's use while running those pesky errands like dropping the kids off at the pool!!

8. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

He already said pooping....

Wiggin21 likes this.
  9. TeddyHeisman

TeddyHeisman Well-Known Member

So if we have had the app for a while (I've had it since June and just recently updated), then we will still be able to watch the games for free?

I didn't even have to pay anything for the app - so this seems almost too good to be true.

10. gbenj

gbenj Well-Known Member

As far as Ive been able to determine anyone who downloaded the original app before july 22nd is grandfathered in and doesnt need the VCAST package to get video from the nfl mobile app. Through Jan 1st, which is What they said at first.

We'll see if this clicks for all of us who fall into that category without having to call and complain to verizon september 1st.

From the press release associated with the update:

"Verizon Wireless customers who downloaded NFL Mobile prior to July 22 will continue to enjoy all of the features of the app at no additional cost through Super Bowl XLV. Usage of the app will continue to be charged according to the customer's data package. "

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...re-video-in-time-for-the-season-99141789.html

sal_shawn likes this.
  11. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Sweet, I'm in the clear then...

12. jikhead

jikhead Well-Known Member

So go buy a Slingbox. Only cost is the initial upfront cost for the equipment. This has been working great for me...and no monthly recurring costs! You could even pick up a used one on Ebay for even less.

13. kicksave41

kicksave41 Member

Skyfire browser and justin.tv is my solution.

14. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

Hmm, anyone know how to check when I first installed it? I know I just updated it, but I'm not sure when I first installed it. looks like the first mobile game is August 8, so we will find out then. Hope I get it free, that would be pretty sweet.

I have version 1.5 Code 123172. (from an Android System)

15. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I think I installed it after July 22.

lol. Oh well! Definitely not buying it.

16. sal_shawn

sal_shawn Well-Known Member

I am crossing my fingers. :D

17. today

today Well-Known Member

"Verizon Wireless customers who downloaded NFL Mobile prior to July 22("that's me) will continue to enjoy all of the features of the app at no additional cost through Super Bowl XLV. Usage of the app will continue to be charged according to the customer's data package." I finally fit the criteria but as always I'm still optimistically suspicious. GOOOO SEAHAWKS !!!

18. today

today Well-Known Member

does justin tv get the nfl network?

19. GoinOnTilt

GoinOnTilt Well-Known Member

I was adding to the euphemisms.

20. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

+1 for slingbox. i'm actually thinking about getting sunday ticket this year just because i won't have to sit at home every sunday just to watch the games...

slingbox = by far the best $300 i ever spent

21. simmons_m

simmons_m Active Member

What if you downloaded it prior, but then downloaded it again after the 22nd, after I received a replacement phone :)
    Guess we will see.

22. gs13

gs13 Well-Known Member

Talked to a CSR this morning, she said that those who d/l before July 22 will not need to pay the $10 VCast video subscription. However, when I downloaded the upgrade, it came over as a separate app. I had two NFL apps on my phone. I uninstalled the old one. (I swear it gave me a "This is an old app, please download the new NFL app from the market" message, but I can't remember exactly.)

I explained the situation to the CSR, was on hold for about 20-30 minutes, she came back to tell me she had no idea if I would have to pay or not. I think I pretty much screwed myself out of free NFL mobile games for this year because I believe the old app would give you access, but the new app will charge at 9/1. Was told I should get a subscription notice to charge my account the $10 if I didn't get it free.

So we'll see at 9/1, but I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck on this one.

23. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

I still have the old app and it's useless. Like you said, it makes you download the new app. Like I have said previously, what they will do is send an update notifying you that to watch you will have to purchase vcast or when you are in the app and click on a video or watch nfl network will link you to vcast. What I think anyways. It's total bullshit and VZ can eat my a__! Nickel and dimin wherever they can.

And to add on top of that. Anyone thinking they are going to get it free because they downloaded it early, not gonna happen.

24. gs13

gs13 Well-Known Member

...BTW, the reason I think I'm screwed is because the CSR told me that Verizon doesn't track when people download apps, and couldn't tell me when I downloaded the new NFL app. Also, I couldn't find any way to tell on my phone when I downloaded/updated the new one (which was July 22nd, the day the update came out), but I know when I d/l the original (the day I received my phone, 4/28). There has to be something to distinguish who purchased before july 22nd, and separate apps would make sense.

Does anyone still have the old NFL app? Maybe with that .apk, we can fudge the system to receive free games for the whole year.

EDit: Nevermind Rdjr74 confirmed that the old app doesn't work.

25. gs13

gs13 Well-Known Member

Straight from the horses mouth: Hey, Football Fans: NFL Mobile From Verizon Wireless Sports A New Look And More Video In Time For The Season

"Verizon Wireless customers who downloaded NFL Mobile prior to July 22 will continue to enjoy all of the features of the app at no additional cost through Super Bowl XLV. Usage of the app will continue to be charged according to the customer