Nice to see phone carriers screwing its customers - Vodafone

Last Updated:

1. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On my Desire which I bought SIM free, I elected to go with Vodafone as they had Vodafone LIVE as an add on which offers TV and other things.

Now, when TVCatchUp and YAMGO came along, Vodafone kindly blocked these so we can't watch them.

Now LIVE also doesn't work for some reason (it did for about a week), but they are now telling me its because the phone hasn't been provided by them. So effectively I bought their sim deal for 12 months because LIVE was offered, but now it doesn't work as the phone isn't theirs.

They also block TVCatchUp and Yamgo so effectively my Desire is about as useful as something a couple of years old. I have a tarif and a phone capable of supporting the new generation of multimedia - but its being restricted by Vodafone.

I know others on here have the same issue with regards to OTA TV.

Where does this leave me with my contract I wonder? Well - my friend at Vodafone said I have to see the remainder of it out. Really??? I wonder how the courts would view this???

Paul (pissed off with crap phone companies shafting their customers)

Advertisement
  2. Desire D

Desire D Well-Known Member

How long ago did you sign up with Vodafone? they must have a cooling off period, I'm not sure how long it is though

3. bonerp

2 months. Its just rubbish that TVCatchUp wasnt available and is now blocked (on Vodafone)

4. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

Live does not work because phone not supplied by them... was this in the contract you signed? Have you read their terms and conditions?

5. Panama

Panama Active Member

I got my desire through carphone warehouse and the sim was with vodaphone. I don't have vodaphone live but I can watch tvcathup etc without any problems?

6. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I think Vodafone are blocking TV Catchup while the World Cup is on... I can't be 100% sure though...

7. m1nkeh

m1nkeh Member

works on my vodafone.. :eek:

8. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Doesn't work on T-mobile either but unfortunately I think the Terms of Use say it's not allowed anyway.

with most of these packages having fairly small bandwidth allowances I don't see the harm in letting you do what you want with it.

I mean these deals with 500MB bandwidth isn't going to be a lot of streaming and well.. you paid for it.

9. The Stranger

The Stranger Active Member

Have you tried changing internet settings on your phone, or match them up to someone elses desire. It work for a mate who's on virgin mobile and couldn't watch Tv catch up until I matched his settings to mine, worth a try.

10. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

If you bought a sim only deal, then they can't do that. Of course you're going to use a phone, perhaps not supplied by them but, a phone none the less, with a sim *only* deal. If they've changed other stuff, they may have changed their settings. Apart from your friend, have you rang Vodafone directly and explained to them you got the sim only deal, and you got it because of Live and etc etc, and it no longer works.

For all they know, you could have been out of contract on a phone you signed up for a year/two years ago, on a different network and decided to continue to use the phone but, use their services. Don't they want customers? :s.

11. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Almost all the networks actively block streaming UNLESS they provide it via their portal pages.

As for the live issue, could be a network issue or something else.

If they have killed it, then you have a get out from the contract.

12. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

On 3G or WiFi ?

Its well documented that TVcatchup and Yamgo work on WiFi on Vodafone but not on 3G.

There is a lot of info about it on the TVcatchup thread.

I haven't tried it on my desire (im also on Vodafone) but im not confident it will work on 3G/H

13. Panama

Panama Active Member

Good point Bully, I was just about to say that this must be via streaming over 3g rather than wifi, which is how I am doing it and it works fine (over wifi that is).

14. BlackenedUK

BlackenedUK Active Member

Have you seen if there's any content lock on it? On T-mobile I had a content lock which restricts certain websites from running, is there an equivalent service from Vodafone?

15. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

I would have thought that the allowed bandwidth per month is so PATHETIC when compared to home broadband they would block anything that uses a huge amount of data.

16. m1nkeh

m1nkeh Member

correct, i have just checked and it does not work over 3g

oh wells :)

17. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

It works on my T-Mobile :cool:

18. bonerp

I have received further emails from vodafone - they admit their network does not support 3rd party streaming content. Amazing how it does for the iP4. Useless. 3 do. Shoulda stayed with them.

As for Live - the sim only deal did say that Live services were available. Stranglely their website has since changed and as they dont send copies of T&Cs now, looks like I'm stuffed.

19. Kryten2k35

Kryten2k35 Well-Known Member

Nah, if they changed their T&C they're obliged to inform you. You bought a 12 month sim deal for the Live service and now that service has been cancelled. You could pretty much take them to court over this.

Instead of e-mailing them. CALL them. Inform them of the situation: You bought a sim free phone and bought a Vodafone sim to use their services because you like their services (lay that point on rather thick) and now there must have been some mistake because they're blocking your services because they didn't provide the phone. That's their mistake and you're happy for them to put it right.

If they don't put it right, inform them that you're not paying until they put it right. You're within your rights to do that. They changed their T&C without informing you and still want your money? Bull. You aren't obliged to pay and you're well within your rights to take them to court (not what you want to do, but you should make them aware of this)

Above all else, be reasonable and calm. It's perfectly within everyones ability to be super annoyed, but be nice and respectful. At the end of the day, the CSR didn't make the policy, so the nicer and more understanding you are the more likely you are to get a resolution. However, if the rep starts being arsey, then you can go into mental mode and demand to speak to a supervisor.

At the end of the day, you paid for a service on a sim only package. So the excuse that the phone didn't come from them is utter rubbish. They're breaching their contract and while the contract is in breach you do not have to pay. If the shoe was on the other foot; you breached the contract (by not paying, for example) they're within rights to withhold the service. So, you're within rights to refuse to pay (and they may with hold service, but that plays into your hands. You can then free yourself from them and get another sim on another network. Three, for example)

Above all else, DO NOT BE BULLIED. They will lie to you and tell you that everything is within reason. It's clearly not.

EDIT:

Also, it's suspect that 2 months into the contract they pull services from you. You're out of your cooling off period. I think that's dodgey.

bonerp likes this.
  20. bonerp

I agree entirely. I have discussed this on Friday on the phone but the csr was having none of it - hence now email because I have a trail of correspondence and leverage.

I stated that if they personally cannot resolve this issue for it to be passed to someone who can. if I receive no response I will write a letter and post it recorded. :)

21. fumusic

fumusic Active Member

can you let me know how you get on with this case as i am with vodafone too. thanks

22. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

I am with you on this one mate. I signed up on a 18 month contract fully expecting to be able to view what I wanted. I've got 1gb per and I should be allowed to do whatever I want with that.

There are plenty of threads over on the VF forum with lots of people like us trying to get this sorted so I would suggest heading over there and making your point if you haven't already. Also I have written to Ofcom and Trading standards to complain about this which is the best route to take in this sort of thing.

From what i can gather it is something linked to their content control policy and they are saying it will be sorted soon. Whatever VF say though take with a massive pinch of salt!

23. LostAlon

LostAlon Member

It may sound like the wrong way to go at it, but have you tried going to the vodafone forums and asking there ? Customer service is always the same... They will never admit responsibility or want to give you anything, but I've found the admins on their forums are rational, fair minded people who will sort things out if they can. Specifically outline to them that a SIM only deal that offers services that you can only get on branded hardware is ludicrous, especially as vodafone sell the HTC Desire.

Chances are they'll ask for a few details, and may well just unblock the service or whatever. At the very least they won't just be reading off the screen to you. I got some problems with my old blackberry sorted out that way really quick.

Got to be better than banging your head against the 'official responce' which is often totally inflexible and the reps can't do anything non-standard anyway.

24. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Well-Known Member

Have you tried turning it off and on again?*

*if you don't watch IT crowd, then I'm sorry for your issues....

Inno likes this.
  25. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Really? I must be lucky - Virgin Mobile don't block services such as TVCatchup at all as far as I know whether you access it via their portal page or not.