No 2.1 update for the forseable future to o2 PAYG UsersSupport

Last Updated:

1. ExHuMeD

ExHuMeD Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was so stressed and peaved off that pretty mutch every other network had a 2.1 update avalible and o2 PAYG users did not, i finaly got hold of somone from o2 and this is the full convo,

Kate: Hi I'm Kate. How can I help you?
    Benjamin: Hello, I purchaced a LG GT540 about 3 months ago, LG Promised to release the updated OS software from 1.6 to 2.1 By the end of october, Its now the end of november and every network APART from o2 has this upgrade avalible to them, Could i please ask why its taking so long for o2 to have this update avalible to its PAYG customers? The phone is very slow and i feel without this update soon i will be forced to buy a new phone and think twice about going with o2 again, thanks
    Kate: Currently we don't have any idea when the OS aoftware will be updated on O2.
    Benjamin: So no specific date whatsoever? Will a 2.1 update even be avalible in the future?
    Kate: I'm sorry, there is no specific date or new.
    Kate: It will be release if this software is updated.
    Benjamin: Ok thanks for your help

So it looks like guys its time to trade in your GT540 for another andriod phone on o2 or go to a diffrent network :(

God im so angry at o2,

Advertisement
  2. Rooferkev

Rooferkev Well-Known Member

I'm on O2 PAYG and updated to 2.1 last week so don't know what all that's about.

3. ExHuMeD

You serious.. how? I've even got my friends o2 phone and asked if he could update on his computer and its all the same, same on the lg blog website too, were did you get your phone from?

4. he6rt6gr6m

he6rt6gr6m Well-Known Member

Just go unbranded. Why does it HAVE to be O2 branded?? Go for a Carphone Warehouse brand, or a European ROM.

5. SCL

SCL Member

As far as I'm concerned, the 2.1 update does not make the phone any faster. It is a relatively cheap phone with a borderline processor for Android, a low amount of RAM and an occasionally unresponsive touch screen. The key thing for me was it's price, I still think it's a pretty good bargain. The best thing you can do to speed the phone up is to do a full factory re set.... You'll lose EVERYTHING you have added to it, but it'll run a LOT better. I have done this while it was on 1.6 and the difference was huge. If you want a stack of apps installed, thousands of texts in the memory, a contact pic for all your contacts, live wallpapers running, custom lock screens, custom home screens etc, this isn't the phone to run them on! I repeat, 2.1 is not a huge transformation for the GT540. Curiosity is still killing the cat (and it was for me to be honest....)

6. ExHuMeD

Well he6rt6gr6m because it will void my warranty and i have 2 years warranty on my phone.. i shouldn't have to flash unbranded roms when my carrier should already have an update but i must admit its very tempting to do so, Ok SCL its nice for somone to put things into prospective, Im currently looking at saving up and getting the HTC desire Z, but like you say the only reason i brought this phone was its price,

7. Rooferkev

Everytime i tried to update i got a message that there was no update for my phone despite th pc suite saying there was and i knew there was an update available so i just carried on trying and on the eighth or ninth attempt it worked. I installed all the latest USB drivers and PC suite before i got it.

8. ExHuMeD

I think they had the update online but alot of users were reporting it was bricking there phones so they took it off, i try for a good 10 mins everyday with no luck with pc suite and LG updater :( ah well got

9. andrew.williams2010

andrew.williams2010 Member

We should not have to pay out again and again to get a good phone.
    The Android updates should be straightforward and work for all networks and also for unbranded phones mine is unbranded version from carphone warehouse and i cant update it.
    1.6 Android has faults including the user dictionary on the predictive text wiping itself if you turn the phone off (this should have been fixed by google or lg so that those who cant update at least have something fit for the purpose intended).

10. ExHuMeD

I agree andrew, Im in two minds to send mine back for repair to see if they will update it to 2.1... still a long shot though, This is my first lg phone and my last im afraid :(

11. bml1966

bml1966 Member

Im on 02 and upgraded to the carephone warehouse update

Works a treat after the Russian one (that seemed a bit buggy)

12. ExHuMeD

I know BML but i dint want to void my warrenty :(

13. menace3uk

menace3uk New Member

Hi folks, just read all this thread and having owned my 540 for 3 months now I'm quite happy with it.
    In response to O2 payg users, you can upgrade the phone with the LG suite and to be quite honest, if it does make ur warrenty void wats the big deal. The phone only cost

14. Rooferkev

couldnt agree more. comparing this phone to

15. ExHuMeD

I agree but why make a public annoucment saying 2.1 is avalible when it is not? thats what im anoyed with, and the crashing most times when im making a txt, i belive 2.1 will fix thease crashes,

16. tony102smith

tony102smith Member

I just spoke to O2 a few minutes ago voa their online chat help.

Here is the conversation.

Welcome to O2 live chat. Someone will start chatting with you soon. You're through to Peter.
    Peter: Hi I'm Peter. How can I help?
    Anthony Smith: Hello. Im wondering when the Android Update from 1.6 to 2.1 for my LG GT540 might be available? Is there any news yet?
    Peter: I'm sorry but there is no such update from LG for this phone.
    Peter: You can get in touch with LG to see if they are releasing the update or not. I'll help you with their number.
    Anthony Smith: i have liaised with them, and they sais the update is awaiting approval from o2 before its released.
    Peter: We don't provide any such approval. Its a phone features and has to be released by phone manufacturer.
    Peter: You can call them on 08448475454.
    Anthony Smith: i see, ok, thanks for your help.
    Peter: You're most welcome. Thanks for your time. Have a nice evening.

From a previous conversation or e-mail from LG they said the update was awaiting O2's approval, hence my question.

Can anyone else shed any light on this?

Thanks

Anthony

17. ranseen

ranseen Member

Mobile Phone Support: Ok thank you very much for bringing this to are attention, I have just been told that they verified the update. With regards to your Updating issue you can send the handset to us and we will update it for you at our repair center. Please call 0844 847 5454 and select options 1 & 3.