No 2.2 Update For Desire On Virgin (UK)?

Last Updated:

1. danmc

danmc Member This Topic's Starter

I have spoken to 3 different customer service reps at Virgin and all 3 claimed that Virgin wont be rolling out 2.2 to their users and that any update would have to come from HTC

When I pointed out that the 2.1 installed on their phones was a branded version they stuck to their guns and continued to insist that no 2.2 update would be made by Virgin.

Can anyone confirm or deny this suggestion? Surely Virgin wont be the only provider to completely ignore 2.2 for their users?

Anyone else have a Desire on virgin?

Advertisement
  2. danmc

For anyone else faced with the same problem, I did a quick google search and found this hopeful post elsewhere (dated 7th August):

Virgin on the phone are useless, @virginmedia on Twitter said the information on the phone is wrong and that they are currently testing the android 2.2 update on htc desire's ensuring it works with there network correctly, and that they will release more information asap, and that they trying to get the update on their network as soon as poss! I also gave htc email and stated my htc desire handset was on virgin and enquired to why I haven't received the update yet, they said that my handset on virgin would receive the update very soon.

I am pinning my hopes on this being right!

omnifish likes this.
  3. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

In my experience, customer service reps are useless :p

4. danmc

Very true, but it just galls me how poorly informed they all seem to be - surely this sort of information should be at their finger tips!

HTC Desire must have landed virgin a whole host of new customers (they put it out with some very competitive price plans and were one of the first carriers to release it in the UK iirc)

Surely they should know what is happening with their own branded handsets?!?

5. calmfaith

calmfaith New Member

People,
    Has anyone managed to root, debrand and upgrade to 2.2 on a desire with virgin?
    Cheers.

6. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Yup and it was incredibly easy, but my phone wasn't branded so not sure how representative or helpful that is

7. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

any updates on froyo for orange customers yet?

8. Kenty1981

Kenty1981 Well-Known Member

hi all,

I emailed Virgin a week or so ago and got a call from a rep who told me we would be getting ti but he didnt know an exact date but would call me back when they had more info - he did point out they work closely with Tmobile (as the use there network) so we should get it the same time as them.

However - i had rooted mine using unrevoked 3 method but never installed a custom rom as found it to be slightly dawnting but i have used the froyo RUU file to debrand my phone completely - so im now running the stock HTC froyo and all is working fine.

It does wipe allyour data so i just made sure me account was backed up with google and all my contacts reimported when i signed in again. No probs to date.

I did have to create a gold card but that took allof 10 minutes so id recommend that process to any virgin customers who are fed up of waiting.

9. jono2000

jono2000 New Member

Rep in the VirginMobile Westfield store says September 11th for Froyo OTA update.

But then again he may have been conjuring a date out the air to get rid of a pesky customer..... :D

10. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Right guys for those running the following firmware (1.21.405.2) on a VIRGIN MOBILE (possibly others) issued handset this is how you can get the update now without rooting (this is using a genuine HTC release THIS IS NOT a custom ROM):

rumbataz likes this.
  11. PsychoMania

PsychoMania Active Member

12. R8sm8

R8sm8 Member

@PsychoManiaPsychoMania

Have you upgraded, or are you also waiting for the Virgin froyo release?
    Just curious.

13. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

Virgin have said its likely to be sooner

14. PsychoMania

PsychoMania Active Member

I upgraded the day froyo was released using the goldcard method and official RUUs. Went smoothly and the phone is now unbranded and running very nicely indeed.

I couldn't wait :D

15. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

Likely to be next week guys

16. richcowell

richcowell Well-Known Member

17. rumbataz

rumbataz Well-Known Member

Just when I was considering debranding. I may as well wait a couple more weeks now.

18. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

19. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

Thats not the latest Tweet from them, they tweeted just 30 mins ago to say "more than likely Sooner ;)"