No 4G data unless wifi is connected

1. aldar

aldar Member

I reset my phone back to original using ...
    [TOOL] One click back to stock 4.0.4 for warranty/repairs - xda-developers

After that, the 4g data worked like it should.

So I re-rooted it using ...
    [GNex TOOLKIT V7.8] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [VERIZON] - xda-developers
    and after that the same thing happened again, only white 4g bars unless wifi was connected.

Then I re-installed the Eclipse b15 rom that worked before (my backup was corrupt) and now it's doing it too, where before it worked. I have now installed at least 4 different roms and same thing happens ... 4 white 4g bars until I connect wifi then the 4bars go blue, while it's just white bars I have no data connectivity (web, play store, etc), but I can make calls and text.

Any ideas from anyone please would be greatly appreciated. Please.

Advertisement
    :
  2. aldar

aldar Member

Also, I've had this phone for about 3-4 months and have been putting ROMs on it ever since with no problems. This started about 2-3 weeks ago and, of course, I don't know what I would have done around that time that would have caused it. I don't remember doing anything that I don't usually do when rooting and installing ROMs.
  3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey aldar, just a heads up, I went ahead and moved your thread to the VZW All Things Root section. Thanks for understanding. :)
  4. aldar

aldar Member

Surely the unlocking, rooting, etc. must change something that effects the radios or something. I have searched for others with similar problems and cannot find a solution. Obviously it's not a common problem, but for some reason it is happening to my phone. It's got to be software because it works when at factory defaults.

No suggestions? Please... I've been rooting and applying ROMs since the Incredible came out, but I'm not a dev, I just can't figure this out. If you think I'm just not looking hard enough, then point me in a direction and I'll look.
  5. gapi

gapi VIP Member VIP Member

Just checked mine. No change when toggling WiFi. I refreshed each time.

These numbers did not change. I get two bars of 4G signal in my house minimum. LTE:13, -107 dBm 33 asu.
  6. aldar

aldar Member

Well, the weirdness continues. On my new warranty replacement phone I get 4g stock after using GNex Toolkit option 8 (unlock, root, rename, cwm, busybox all at once). But when I try JBsourcery or Eclipse, same old thing, no 4g!! I have rooted and ROMd my Incredible and my X2 probably 40 times each at least and never had any issues, there just isn't that much too it, so I don't see what can go wrong. I know since it's still happening on another phone it seems like I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Here is my process for my Nexus (from stock 4.0.4):
    -GNex Toolkit option 8 (unlock, root, rename, cwm, busybox all at once)
    -Setup newly rooted stock with my gmail acct info, verify it has 4g data.
    -Copy over some ROM and gapps .zip files
    -Reboot in to recovery
    -Wipe data, cache & dalvik
    -Install ROM
    -Install it's gapps
    -Reboot
    -Skip gmail setup because I don't have 4g (don't want to use wireless because that's not the point, but even after I do, 4g doesn't work)
    -... and no 4g data

I wait for 15 minutes, I check and uncheck airplane mode, I pull the sim card and reboot... nothing.
    Just this morning I did the above process and tried the following ROMS and still get no 4g.

http://teamsourcery.com/ICSourcery/gnex/releases/JB/2.3/LTE/JBSourceryV2.3LTE.zip
    http://www.teamsourcery.com/ICSourcery/gnex/releases/JB/2.2/JBSourceryGapps.zip

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading Codename-Android-3.6.6-GN-VZN.zip
    Goo.im Downloads - Downloading CNA-GAPPS-JRO03C-CameraFeatures-NoPicasa.zip

http://eclipserom.com/mods/click.php?id=174 --> Eclipse-2.0-Toro-Build15.zip
    http://eclipserom.com/mods/click.php?id=173 --> gapps-4.1.1-Eclipse0910.zip
  7. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with tool kits nor do i recommend using them.

One thing that sticks out to me at first though is why are you starting at 4.0.4? that is not the newest stock build.
  8. aldar

aldar Member

I've done it with 4.1.1 also and same thing. I was just going through it quickly this morning so I didn't bother with the 4.1.1 update.
  9. gapi

You do have the FF02/FG02 radios correct?
  10. gapi

I have used the tool kits and the manual method and the tool kits rock. The only thing that should be considered in your choice is your personal preference.

I like the Galaxy Nexus Tool Kit (Jelly Bean) its great. Donate and get the updates and have no regrets.

Good Luck
  11. aldar

aldar Member

I have donated to the GNex Toolkit, it is great.
    I have tried it with LTE-FC05 / CDMA-FC04 and I have tried it with LTE-FG02 / CDMA-FF02. I have even gone backwards radio-wise just to see if that changed anything, it didn't. Right now I can only get 4g data with stock 4.1.1 (4.0.4 too) unlocked, rooted, etc. Any time I install a ICS or JB ROM, the 4g doesn't work. I just really am at a loss. It sucks because I like changing ROMs like 1-2 times a week. *sigh*
    So what is the difference, radio-wise, between stock and most ROMs?
  12. aldar

aldar Member

Are there any logs I can look at that might point me in the right direction?