NO 64-bit drivers; no KIESSupport

Last Updated:

1. angelsix

angelsix Member This Topic's Starter

I just finished dealing with Samsung Technical Support. First, a lengthy session w/ online Chat, ending with
    "Diana: I am sorry, but we have reached the limit of our technical knowledge on this product. I am sorry,we at the chat support provide the basic troubleshooting information for our products,our agents in the voice support provide the next level of support for further assistance.
    Diana: I suggest you to contact Samsung Technical Support at 1-888-987-4357 ...."

So, I went to online phone support, and was eventually told that Samsung has no Kies, mini-Kies, or any other support software for the Samsung Vibrant in with 64-bit computers (i.e. computers running Windows 7 in 64-bit mode). I assume this means that the 32-bit software works fine, as most 32-bit software does, but the hangup (no phone pun intended) is in the drivers. That's why it choked when I connected my phone and it tried to install the drivers. Can't use the software without the driver, and can't use the 32-bit driver in 64-bit windows.

Before online phone support told me it was impossible, she did send me to this page, to do a download of mini-Kies:
    http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PRO...
    I don't know why she thought the one Samsung makes available when someone clicks through their support links was not good enough, but she was very definite she wanted me to use the other one instead. Here's the general Vibrant support links for downloads:
    Samsung
    Samsung

Incidentally, while I was getting Online Chat support, I was told:
    "Yes,it is compatible with the 64 bit windows also."
    She also said that the full Kies (not just the mini-Kies) would be made available for the Vibrant, but since she was wrong about the 64-bit, ....

The phone support person did tell me that Samsung is working on making it available for 64-bit, but had no idea when that would be. She said, loyally, "soon."

I wanted to use Samsung's Kies software to connect (tether, with the USB cable) my phone to my laptop to use as an Internet connection. Now I can't do that until either (a) I find a 3rd party app that does this, or Samsung gets around to developing 64-bit drivers.

... sigh.

Anybody have any experience with using any 3rd party apps to tether to a 64-bit Win7 computer, for Internet service?

As I think about it, I think there's no excuse for Samsung having wasted so much of my time before telling me it was impossible. The pages their website lead me to said nothing about it working only for 32-bit. The software did not check to see if I had 64-bit and warn me it was fruitless. Online tech support said it would work with 64-bit. The page the phone tech support person took me to did specify 32-bit. Only then did I find out that I'd wasted all of this time. My time wasting was increased since I worried that maybe there was some problem with my laptop, so went through the whole process again with my desktop before trying to deal w/ Tech Support.

Advertisement
  2. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Hey there. Wanted to help you out. Please go to the tips and tricks section, there I describe how to tether using nothing more than just your phone, a usb cable, drivers, and windows 7 64 bit.

You don't even need kies.

Furthermore, I have the 64bit driver install file program I can send. It is easier than the ones from xda, you just install the program, and it does the job.

The full version of Kies is also on samsungs UK site. So try that.

Anyway, visit the tips and tricks, read about tethering there. If you have problems let me know I'll try to walk you through it.

3. angelsix

Dear SamsungVibrant, thanks for your offer to help. I accept. (I sent you a private message with my email address, so you could send me the driver).
    .. I had seen your article which looked great until I got the the part about 64-bit drivers. I had previously googled for Vibrant 64-bit drivers, and all the links I found were frustrating. Some were like bait & switch. I'd click on the link that I thought was going to get me the driver, only to get a page with links to software that claimed it was going to update all my drivers, for a price. I'd try a different link on the page, and got the same result. I wouldn't mind their selling me their 64-bit drivers for the Vibrant (Galaxy S) if they actually had them, but getting misleadingly re-routed to their general driver update software made me suspicious.
    .. Also, I found postings that claimed they had links to 64-bit Vibrant or Galaxy S drivers, only to find the links broken, or the host saying the file is no longer available.
    .. Now, I'm more skeptical/confused, having had Samsung tell me that they have no 64-bit drivers for the Vibrant. If they don't have them, did someone else write some instead? That makes me a little nervous, perhaps because I have no idea what's involved in writing a device driver.
    .. Surely others have had this problem, so somehow there must solutions (e.g. the one you're offering me) that I just don't understand.

4. angelsix

Finally found someone's posting of a supposed 64-bit driver for Galaxy S phones, called Samsung_Mobile_USB_Driver_V1.3.800.0.msi. Installed it, connected my phone, and was 2/3 successful. It seemed to have 3 drivers.
    #1 -- Samsung Android USB composite Device -- OK (Ready to use)
    #2 -- CDC Abstract Control Modem (ACM) (AKA Samsumb Android USB Modem) -- OK (Ready to use)
    #3 - MTB USB Devise -- X Failed
    Following the nicely clear instructions of SamsungVibrant's posting, I tried setting it up as a modem device, and got error 777, something about "the modem (or other connecting device) on the remote computer is out of order".

... sigh

5. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Are you still looking for 64-bit drivers? You can go here:

Download Samsung Galaxy S USB Driver for Windows x64 Driver for Windows XP X64 / Windows Vista64 / Windows 7 x64 - Softpedia

You should also be able to get the drivers installed by installing Kies.

Do you know about the Vibrant Bible? There are a lot of links to helpful stuff.

[REF]***Vibrant Directory(Bible)Rev2.1--A little color can't hurt--***(10/18/2010)*** - xda-developers

I have no experience tethering the phone with anything other than PdaNet however.

6. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Did you get the email I sent you with the drivers?
    If you are having trouble setting your phone up as a modem, then try installing samsung kies and tether through there.

7. angelsix

w-bovine: Thanks for the suggestions. I've now found a couple of downloads of 64-bit drivers for Vibrant, which seem to be different (different file sizes, etc.), including the one from the link you suggested, and still get that they seem to have 3 drivers.
    #1 -- Samsung Android USB composite Device -- OK (Ready to use)
    #2 -- CDC Abstract Control Modem (ACM) (AKA Samsumb Android USB Modem) -- OK (Ready to use)
    #3 - MTB USB Device -- X Failed

It seems to be the MTB USB Device that is needed for KIES. My phone's display says "MTP Application ... Connected", but apparently because of the MTB USB device failure, can't use it as a modem.

Maybe I should pay for a 3rd party app, like
    PdaNet, for tethering. I've put that off because [a] of all the chatter that says Froyo/2.2 is just around the corner and will include tethering, and I'm just stubborn about paying for something that Samsung is ostensibly offering for free.

SamsungVibrant
    : Didn't get your email (maybe the attachment hit a size limit somewhere?), but have found a couple of 64-bit drivers, and getting the same partial failure.

My frustration started when I just tried installing Samsung Kies, or Mini-Kies (which is what they have posted as the download for Vibrant), and it went fine until I plugged in my phone and got the message the driver failed to install. Then Samsung Tech. Support told me they have no 64-bit drivers for the Vibrant, so the mini-Kies won't work.

8. dbanks521

dbanks521 New Member

You can use a third party app. called PDA.net. The app.'s from June Fabrics and I've used it on my captivate and incite. It works fine as long as you can get a signal on your phone you can get online. Get the free trial and try it out. It cost about $35.00 for android app.

My kies doesn't work either, I upgraded and downloaded kies and mini Kies, it worked for a while then dropped a driver for no reason. Still looking for replacement driver, good luck.

June Fabrics PDA Technology Group