• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No applications found for this file type

ameneses54

Aug 21, 2013
Using Android 6.0.1, and Astro File Manager.
Everytime I try to install an apk that I copied from my computer to a folder in my phone I get the message: "no applications found for this file type"
I can install when accesing the file through my phone but not if I do so initially from my computer.
As far as I recall this did not happen with my previous version of Android.
Please advise.

In settings/security (or similar) do you have "Unknown sources" check-marked? (I.e. "Allow installation of unknown applications" or something similar.

I haven't used Astro in a while. I'd expect that you can just tap the APK, but if not, can you long-press it and get a menu of options that would let you install the APK?

Upvote 0
In settings/security (or similar) do you have "Unknown sources" check-marked? (I.e. "Allow installation of unknown applications" or something similar.

I haven't used Astro in a while. I'd expect that you can just tap the APK, but if not, can you long-press it and get a menu of options that would let you install the APK?
Thanks for the reply. I did check "allow etc" and after tapping the icon for the downloaded file is when I get the message. Long tapping does nothing--no menu at all. Before updating to Android 6 all I had to do is tap to install.

Upvote 0
This is an issue with Astro. Try a different file browser like Solid Explorer and see if you can run them from within.

Apparently you need to do the following in Astro:
Select settings page and click on Startup preference. You can change it to your SD card.

If that makes any sense, personally I grew out of Astro years back as it looks, feels and is dated.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones