• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help no autocapitalize "i" to "I"

Yeah, this keyboard software is not as good as the Droid's. It also oftentimes will not capitalize names, even if added to the user dictionary as capitalized names. It also won't do a period using double space bar after a parenthesis. Lots of little quirks like this I'm noticing since I type emails and texts a lot. Gets annoying after a while. And the swype keyboard is not to my liking, particularly in landscape mode. Swiftkey also sucks imo. Maybe I'll try Smart Keyboard Pro and see how that one does...

Upvote 0
It's not Google, they just make Android. All the phone makers skin their keyboards how they want. The Droid keyboard does all the things we're talking about, and it's Android.

So Motorola is responsible for software related issues, in this case the lack of immediate capitalization of "I"?

So Google just pushes out the OS and the developer is left to code everything else? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I guess we can only hope Froyo will fix the problem. But it's definitely something Motorola has no fix, has nothing to do with Google. Google makes the keyboard that was on the original Droid (with Vanilla), Motorola was nice enough to take that keyboard and modify it to give us true multitouch, they just left out this nice feature.

Upvote 0
The DX comes with two keyboards. The default keyboard does not capitalize the I while the Alternate Swype keyboard does. The Swype keyboard has a lot of features, and to understand them all you should actually go to their website and watch the videos they have made.

The Swype keyboard really works nice with just a little practice, you can miss letters and the word is still spelled right.You don't have to space between words. After a period it will capitalize the first word. Words that have two capital letters such as McDonald can easily be done with Swype. A lot of punctuation is done for you.

When proof reading your message you can put the cursor on a word you are not sure about and push the blue Swype key and get a list of different choices. If the choice you want isn't there, the whole world will be automatically selected allowing you to enter a new word if you want.

It also has a full editing keyboard you get to by pressing the blue Swype key and the key to the right of it at the same time. It has arrow up, down, left, right, end of line and much more.

The Swype keyboard can by used the old fashioned by pressing 1 key at a time if you prefer ( or if it is a work that Swype most likely would not know - but it can be added to the dictionary).

It has many settings that can be changed to your liking, such as how often the word suggest should appear.

Overall I type a lot faster and a whole lot more accurate with Swype.

Reactions: focus791
Upvote 0
I guess we can only hope Froyo will fix the problem. But it's definitely something Motorola has no fix, has nothing to do with Google. Google makes the keyboard that was on the original Droid (with Vanilla), Motorola was nice enough to take that keyboard and modify it to give us true multitouch, they just left out this nice feature.

I'd rather have my original Droid features instead of the multitouch. Maybe it's just me, but the whole multitouch thing seems overrated. I'd rather have the various features we've already mentioned. Although I guess it makes a difference to have multitouch now, since I use it to do shift+i as I type :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones