no AVI video support after 2.1 update????Support

Last Updated:

1. lawlhai

lawlhai Member This Topic's Starter

I downloaded the 2.1 update from sprint and I can longer watch AVI videos. Please tell me my phone is bugged! I've re-transferred videos I previously watched on CL14 but they all say "sorry this video can't be played."

I've tried several different media players. I really hope this is just a random bug on my specifiv phone because I watch a lot of tv on it and I really don't have extra time to convert file types everyday. :(

Advertisement
  2. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

I'll check when I get home but this shouldn't happen. At the office right now "working". :)

3. colettak

colettak Member

Unfortunately this seems to be the case. I also can no longer watch avi videos -- I watched one at 12 yesterday afternoon, updated, and then it no longer worked. So I'm guessing they removed the codecs?

4. hakujin

hakujin Well-Known Member

get out! i never knew android COULD play the .avi container. Can it play xvid?!

5. colettak

colettak Member

Android CAN'T play it, which is why I'm assuming it doesn't work on the newest build. Samsung put avi (including Xvid) specifically into the moment 1.5 build. Sadly I just figured this out yesterday and only got to use it for one day!

I'm a little annoyed about it, but it's not too much work to just convert the files to a different format that'll work (not to mention saving space on the phone).

6. hakujin

no way! wow... why is it taking so long for a dev to create a media app which supports xvid. h264 is more resource intensive so I don't get it. before i thought something in the sdk was preventing this, but ostensibly not if samsung included it.

i will never convert squat... it just ruins the experience for me. didn't do it years ago; didn't do it for the ps3, the 360, nor for any pmp that commanded it. did do it once just for a proof of concept on a a camera: casio exilim z750. likewise, i don't support any app that transcodes on the fly in a htpc setup such as tversity. my home theater extender in the bedroom 'natively' plays back xvid, and a bunch more. just think it's a bogus, a waste or resources, and not something i wish to condone. playing it should be a drag and drop affair at most, no special treatment to get one file to play right. i say this as someone who has been around the block in transcoding (vdub, nandub, mediacoder, vlc, tmpgenc, megui, gordian knot, avisynth, mkvtoolknix etc.)

windows mobile has been playing xvid for years... boggles my mind android doesn't have a proper media player, for one of the the most ubiquitous, venerable codecs in the u.s.

7. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Does Meridian play AVI's?

8. mrmagic

mrmagic Member

I have also had this issue. I have noticed that the file sizes are 0.0kb. Maybe there is an issue transferring the files. Most of mine are .divx.

9. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

I can play AVI files with no problems at all? DE03 rooted v7,SDX Recovery 3.0.8, 3d gallery, live wallpapers, helix, etc. I can watch any video that I always have?

10. lawlhai

lawlhai Member This Topic's Starter

has anyone figured out an exact fix for this yet? i really don't want to go back to 1.5 and i also don't want to have to convert all my videos from .avi :(

11. Jacobonce

Jacobonce New Member

The weird part of the whole thing is that the video doesn't even transfer to the phone. It shows the file size as being 0Kb.

What does it all mean? :eek:

-Jacob.

12. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

That means the file is corrupt and didn't copy. Is it 0kb on your computer your transferring from?

13. wihogfan

wihogfan Active Member

Haven't downloaded any new video files or transfered any new ones to my phone since upgrading, but all my xvid avi files that played OK prior to the upgrade still play fine after the upgrade. Running stock 2.1- phone has never been rooted.

14. hakujin

why is it samsung can manage to squeeze out an .avi/xvid player despite the sdk support, but there are no free or paid apps to get the job done right?

15. munkytown

munkytown Active Member

I've been having the same problem since I updated to 2.1 also. Who is to blame here? Google? Samsung? Sprint? Whoever it is, no one seems to want to address it, much less fix it!
    Some of my videos that played on 1.5 will still play but others won't. Newly added videos since 2.1 will not play though. This is just another reason to keep me from being happy with my decision to go with Sprint and Android. I use my phone to watch TV episodes probably as much or more than anything else I do with it so this has been very disappointing.

16. munkytown

munkytown Active Member

So have you tried any new videos since 2.1? None of my new ones will play.

17. wihogfan

wihogfan Active Member

I hadn' t tried to transfer any new files before today since upgrading but I just ripped a dvd to xvid and transferred it to my sd card and it plays fine.

18. munkytown

munkytown Active Member

So you didn't convert the new DVD rips to MPEG-4? I'm kind of surprised that your AVI files that played on 1.5 still play on 2.1 also. I'm not having very much luck with that. Have all of yours been videos that you converted yourself or are some of them downloaded AVI files? The downloaded ones seem to be the ones that no longer play in 2.1 for me.

19. latinmaxima

So to ask for anyone who does use it some video sites changed their viewing policies so in looking to other sites any one had any luck with other video playing sites.(adult

20. 9Nails

9Nails Well-Known Member

It seems that there isn't a viewer for animated .Gif's either...

21. latinmaxima

Gif haven't been support at all yet by this phone.

22. hakujin

that's sad. my previously owned samsung t809 supports gifs as home screens. Now... Google refers to them as 'live wallpapers', lol. I know, I know... they are interactive but still, does anyone who 'upgraded to a latest gen smartphone' feel there's always a bit of regression going on.

Seems it's been a pain in the neck (and still is) to get a full working bluetooth stack, universal platform support of .avi/xvid is nonexistent (except apparently on the moment which btw I can't figure out why on earth isn't ported to all android phones), no gif, no android remote desktop (well there's one that requires root, but it seems to pale in comparison to SOTI pocket controller), no official lossless audio playback support afaict, no functional voice call recorder (think Vito Audio notes and you'll realize what utter sh1te is presently available); all these things I had on a T-Mobile SDA powered by WinMo 5 back in 2003, and gif support on a feature phone from same time frame. Granted, now we have excellent browsers and app stores... just sucks there is always a trade off. I just want .avi. Freaking 16GB SDHC card but nothing to really use it. sure I could copy 'part' of my music collection over, but carrying one's entire music library while on the go is for dumb iPod owners, imo. :D

23. snowcrash

snowcrash Well-Known Member

i have same experience....files I was watching under 1.5 no longer work under 2.1....one divx file did though...not sure why.

If I root the phone will I be able to add full Divx support...would be worth the hassle for that.

24. Eric Bishop

Eric Bishop Well-Known Member

Just download Handbrake or get familiar with ffmpeg and convert your library to whatever your phone currently supports. It's worth it to know how to manipulate your media. Your friends will also thank you when you can encode a few of their legally obtained movies for them to watch on their own phone. Sure, the Incredible can play a 1.5Gb DVD rip on full resolution, but the Eris, Aria, other Android and BlackBerries as well as the old iPhones work best with smaller files, which you can easily encode with Handbrake.