• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No battery life!! Help!

I have had this Samsung Proclaim for about 6 months or so. Never had a huge problem with battery life, until yesterday. I had it fully charged before leaving to see a movie. I set it on vibrate for the 2 hours, and then when I got out and turned it back to sound, the battery was already at 'critical'.
I plugged in my phone to the wall charger last night, let it charge to 100% and then some, took it off around 6:30am, and then by 10am, with ONE 8-minute voice call, it was almost dead and beeping for a charge. I have turned off ALL tasks running, except the crucial ones. (I only used FB anyways and rarely, so it wasn't an app.) I have nothing else running or set that would do this.
This is my ONLY phone line, so I am really begging for help here! I have a trip today and if my phone dies within 2 hours I might as well not bring it. I have ordered a few really nice car chargers because mine is crap, but I have none right now.
HELP!!!

If it is not a very old battery (and six months of constant use is not "old," but getting there), there are a few possibilities.

You've eliminated the resource drag of too many widgets/apps vying for updates, so what's left is data tower and or wifi constant polling for signal strong enough to run those widgets that need them (like weather or Facebook, etc).

Look for carrier tower maintenance reports in your area, along with your work or home router signal strength.

Also, it would not hurt to just go ahead and spring for a brand new battery and see if it behaves like the old one did. If not, then there's your problem; the battery is just losing reliability (a bit too soon, but not unheard of after months of use).

There are many other possibilities, including your charging cable and/or port being damaged. You can test that by the same way you test if the battery is bad: get a new charging cable. If it's the port on the device, corrupted connection etc, then it'll have to be looked at by a tech.

Upvote 0
I'd like to add that anything requesting your location (Latitude, Glympse, Camera, SeekDroid, etc) will just decimate the battery life. Carefully check settings and permissions of every app. Some don't "run" all the time... some just launch on a schedule, try to get your location, and then shut down.

If I recall correctly:
Gross Location permission means it uses the cell / WiFi to locate you.
Fine Location permission means it uses the GPS to locate you.

Upvote 0
I know that this post I'm replying to is over 30 days old.
I just received my Proclaim from Amazon yesterday, (Friday, 17May13) I let the phones charge (I got 2 of them) from 1130hrs. until 2100hrs. The phone that is my wife's phone I programed about 6 phone numbers in the contact's. (I will transfer the rest of her contact list in a day or so. I set up voice mail on both phones. I put about 90% of my contacts into my phone this evening. My phone showed low battery. I only made three phone calls and only received two phone messages. So I put the phone on the charger and will leave it there overnight. I hope that this phones battery doesn't develop a memory or should I just order two extra life batteries for the phone from Amazon or go to a verizon store and buy a 2400ah battery for it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones