No Cable or Satellite - Google TVSupport

1. Android1993

Android1993 Well-Known Member

Hope the mods don't mind me posting this in the only community I find helpful. I posted this is the actual Google TV forum and it just seems like everyone on there is foreign and only talks about Chinese made Google TV's. So here is my question with a little information; I'm looking to buy a Vizio Stream Player with Google TV once it releases. Thing is, I don't have Cable or Satellite, I get over the air television. So I'm wondering is there any way I would be able to connect my coaxial cable to some HDMI adapter of some sort so that it plugs into the Vizio Stream Player and allows me to control my TV through the Vizio Player without having to switch inputs. Hope someone here can help, and believe me I Googled for a while and the options I saw just weren't gonna cut it for me, for example, a $300 DVR box with HDMI, no way I'm spending that much when I could just switch inputs on my TV, I just want a low priced option that'll make things more convenient and make my Google TV experience a little more enjoyable. Thanks in advanced.

Advertisement
    :
  2. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Well-Known Member

Google TV runs off your exsting cable tv service, you have to have a cable box that has a HDMI hookup. The HDMI cable would run from your cable box to the Google TV box giving Google TV access to your cable co channel line up, watch shows simultaneously, browse the internet while watching tv, etc.
  3. not12listen

not12listen New Member

sorry to bring this back from the dead...

so, here is my question. can you use GoogleTV without a live (cable or dish) signal? can you use it for purely internet based streaming programs like Netflix and Hulu?