• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No Car Dock Mod

Just purchased a new Facinate and have not rooted it (yet). I also purchased the Car Dock as part of the package, but when I put the phone in the dock, the behavior doesn't change. Screen stays wherever I had it, and it still times out and locks. does the magnet activated sensor for docked mode not exist on this phone? I tried just using a refridgerator magnet on the back of the phone and it doesn't trigger any change in behaviour either. I am new to the OS, so bear with me while I get up to speed. :rolleyes:

OK. I feel stupid. Turns out I hadn't quite gotten the USB all the way in. It is a bit picky about that.

Just one wish list on physical design. Since the Verzon Rep's push the silicon or plastic cases and made a good case for it (all puns intended), I which the car dock would expand a bit to allow for it.

Other than that it fits well. I'll see if I like it after I use it for a few days...

Upvote 0
Just purchased a new Facinate and have not rooted it (yet). I also purchased the Car Dock as part of the package, but when I put the phone in the dock, the behavior doesn't change. Screen stays wherever I had it, and it still times out and locks. does the magnet activated sensor for docked mode not exist on this phone? I tried just using a refridgerator magnet on the back of the phone and it doesn't trigger any change in behaviour either. I am new to the OS, so bear with me while I get up to speed. :rolleyes:

Did you install Launcher Pro or AWD Launcher? That will disable the cardock mode. You have to be using the original Touch Wiz for it to work.

Upvote 0
Did you install Launcher Pro or AWD Launcher? That will disable the cardock mode. You have to be using the original Touch Wiz for it to work.

Here's what I did and it works with Launcher Pro as well. Purchased Locale and the Locale Dock Condition plug-in and the Locale Shortcut plugin.
I set Locale Condition to Car Dock and setting to Shortcut. I then chose Custom Car Home (free on market--you put whatever you want on the screen that launches) as the shortcut. Now, even in LauncherPro whenever I slide in the Dock Connector my custom Car Home dock screen launches beautifully. I have it set to automatically enable bluetooth, GPS, disable WiFi, Screen to max brightness, etc. just by plugging in the dock. Great! The CCH uses nice large icons that are easier to touch than the ones on home screen. You can have 3 screens (select one of them as default) with 8 shortcuts on each. No VZ Nav, Bing, etc. A car dock as it was meant to be!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones