• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No charge while power is on

I have a charging problem with my EVO View 4G. Initially it would not charge at all unless the battery was completely drained to the point where the View turned itself off (not me turning it off). Then in the off mode I could plug it into a wall charger or a USB port and it would charge completely. However the flashing light never comes on (red, amber or green).
I put a new battery in my View thinking this would solve the problem but it only partially solved it. Now it is not necessary to completely drain first but it still will only charge with the power off.
If the View is on or in standby it will not charge. There is no indication from the software anywhere that a power (or data) cable is attached. Leaving it attached for some time in this mode results in no charging either.
A related issue is that plugging the View into a computer using an official MHL/USB cable (also tried regular USB phone cable) does not produce a connection. The PC end doesn't even recognize that a USB device has been attached. Tried this on 3 PC's (XP and Win7) with the same lack of results. I also installed HTC Sync (with drivers) on one of the XPs and got nothing.
I have used 2 different wall chargers and the USB cables.
The LED in the power button does work for notification alerts from the phone but not for charging functions.
I'm inclined to think my MHL port is the problem and replacing the PCB that includes the MHL port is the solution. Then again, I don't want to spend money on this if it is something else.
Does anyone have any ideas here?
Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones